• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Soft

lufbrajames

I completely agree with cathal on this one. I know what you are thinking....it was a three word response. Yes there are.....

Here are my thoughts... Whether a movement (block or strike) is soft is not dictated by the style but by the manner in which it is executed. If you meet force with force then it is "considered" hard. If you receive, guide, dissolve, or deflect the force then it is "considered" soft. Techniques are rooted in principles of movement and energy. ANY block or strike can be soft depending on the method of delivery and situational application.

All my opinion..

Good explanation, James.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, there are some softer techniques tucked away in some of the kata (Hungetsu springs to mind, but many others I'm sure), but they won't be taught as part of your basic syllabus.

For me, the 'softness' in Shotokan (although, like everyone here has said, Shotokan is essentially a hard style) tends to come through angular movement. So whereas when you first study you will punch/kick/block in a straight lines and basically use force to deflect blows, later you will block and move at 45 degree angles which creates a softer feel and 'deflects' energy rather than using pure force.

As a note, if you get the chance to study Ju-jitsu / judo a little 'on the side', I'd really recommend it - many of the movements in Shotokan kata which are often interpreted as block/strike take on a new 'softer' meaning when looked at as throws/locks etc.

Well thats my take on it anyway!

Cheers

Dave

Actually, James, i've just noticed your name - are you training in Loughborough?

If you're training at the uni, I guess it will be with my old sensei, Tom Martin. Please tell him Dave Tointon says hello!

Tom is a superb instructor and a great guy - I suggest you buy him a pint after training and ask him the same question - I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need.

Cheers

Dave

I completely agree with cathal on this one. I know what you are thinking....it was a three word response. Yes there are.....

Here are my thoughts... Whether a movement (block or strike) is soft is not dictated by the style but by the manner in which it is executed. If you meet force with force then it is "considered" hard. If you receive, guide, dissolve, or deflect the force then it is "considered" soft. Techniques are rooted in principles of movement and energy. ANY block or strike can be soft depending on the method of delivery and situational application.

All my opinion..

Good explanation, James.

Yup! I agree 100% also.

Overall, the type of instructor you have influences when you begin to learn to use them in a "soft" manner. Often they are taught as "hard" at first.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

All my opinion..

Good explanation, James.

Yup! I agree 100% also.

Overall, the type of instructor you have influences when you begin to learn to use them in a "soft" manner. Often they are taught as "hard" at first.

I think you make a good point here, ps1. I think it is easier to teach it this way in the beginning. As humans, we find it natural to meet force with force in the beginning, and therefore it is easier to learn initially. Then, later on, we can adapt it.

Actually, James, i've just noticed your name - are you training in Loughborough?

If you're training at the uni, I guess it will be with my old sensei, Tom Martin. Please tell him Dave Tointon says hello!

Tom is a superb instructor and a great guy - I suggest you buy him a pint after training and ask him the same question - I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need.

Cheers

Dave

Im not training with the uni club, there was to many people for my taste. The class im attending at the moment has between 10 - 20 at an average class. I am training under Senei Terry Corbett.

http//:https://www.lelashotokan.org.uk

Apparently Terry and Tom don't get along, i'm not sure why, do you know?

Thanks for everybody input so far, im defiantly going to keep my knowledge of the soft blocks from kung-fu i think it will be very useful.

James

Kung Fu rules!

Apparently Terry and Tom don't get along, i'm not sure why, do you know?

Mate, I've no idea. Sometimes there's a bit of friction between the uni and the locals so maybe that has something to do with it. It suprises me though because Tom really is a top guy. Probably just gossip.

Good luck in the training, whoever it's with!!!

Dave