• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

540degrees? I can only do 530

I'm working on perfecting the 540 degrees kick. The problem is I don't get enough height and I only get a 530 degrees rotation. should i lean back in the air?

Give me some pointers!

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-05-20 16:30 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leaning back will really only help when you are able to throw the kick with ease. When you perfect that kick then you lean back to get more height out of your kick. If you're not spinning enough then you need to concentrate on gaining more momentum. I'm assuming you're kicking with the right leg. If so do you start with your left leg or right leg forward. Many people start with the left forward so they can start with another right leg kick to gain momentum into the 540. I personally recommend having your kicking leg forward and using your elbows to help start your momentum.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

You need to strengthen your legs and practice jumping as high as possible (plyometrics). Begin by jumping in place. Gradually increase the height of your jumps. Next, jump and tuck your legs at the same time. Next try jumping and spinning at the same time. Start with a 180 degree spin and work up to a 540 degree spin. Don’t try to put kicks in with your jumps right away, just concentrate on jumping high and tucking your legs.

Check out the mpeg on

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ktkd/kick.html

... awesome babee!!!!!!!! :nod:

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-21 04:50 ]

I'm having the same problem, Koreantiger. But Kickchick hit on the botton. I need more hight, so I'm working on strengthening my legs and practice jumping higher. And Withers is right, also. If you are going to kick with your right leg, start with your right leg forward.

Laurie F

I don't like 540s or any other fancy kicks that much, but I can do a 540 after 5 years of basketball..

Plyometric exercises is the way as KickChick said..

Do you guys pivot when you do them ? I find I pivot without even thinking about it and don't have to jump as high =p

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

When you jump from the ground your kicking foot should be facing almost completely to the back wall. You should be on the ball of your foot when you jump. Use your nonkicking leg to get your momentum and to help get the height in your jump.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

The single most important kick you should have down without any problems in order to complete a 540 is a very good sweeping 360 roundhouse/crescent or tornado kick. A 360 is basically the same as a 540 except you land on the non kicking leg and not the kicking leg.

Practice the sweeping 360 continuously!... kicking really fast is important.

Use your arms to help you swing you body around quickly, building torque.

You have to tuck in your non-kicking leg.

When practicing any of the lead up techniques as well as the 540, try to jump up as much as possible as opposed to taking steps to move forward. In other words, build upward momentum and not forward momentum.

Keep your body facing to the front during most of the actual kicking, that way you keep pressure off of your landing foot.

Use your hips to turn over.

If you already have good sweeping 360s, then this should aready be automatic.

Try shortening the kick if you have trouble bringing your kicking leg all the way around.

Start with a bent leg crescent then work yourself up to a crescent then roundhouse kick.