• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai...good or bad?

Sorry to bring this one back up, but I finallly got around to going through the thread. I have to vote no.

For one, the tensing of the abdominals is more readily accomplished by heavy, sharp exhaling. Re: boxing and MT.

Another, and the reason I decided to drop a post, is that you're giving up the tactical advantage of suprise. A missed timed kiai gives the baddie the idea you're attacking. I'd rather him notice that as I'm capitatlizing on my inital movment.

You can't discount the fact that any loud kiai does focus you on a single attack. This compromises your ability to utilize combinations, which are essintal to controlling the fight pace.

Just my two cents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen more than one tournament competitor get a point on a non existent technique by using the kiai appropriately. Look for the judge with the stiff, shiny new belt, shoot in, scream like you never have before, and you might get the point, as well as a confused look from your opponent.

On a related theme, is there a story behind the unique Bruce Lee kiai?

That may be true....point tournies have never been my cup of tea.

For combative purposes I think the answer remains no. No one is calling stops to the action in a fight. Better to make him confused with a flurry of shots that suprise him.

Its kind of funny, the way kiai is viewed at times. Some use them to enunciate a point; MMA fighters rarely use them; Olympic style TKDers almost never don't kihap.

What are your thoughts on this? Are they necessary? How do they help? In my younger years of TKD it was encouraged to Kiai before an attack (in sparring or breaks). Personally I think that to do a battle cry well telegraph that you know martial arts, thus putting your attacker on their guard.

Neither good nor bad.

But maybe, in my personal opinion, a little unnecessary.