• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai...good or bad?

We were always taught that there are 3 purposes for kiai.

1. Startle the opponent.

2. Add some power to the strike.

3. Control your breathing.

As far as startling the opponent, I liken this to drawing attention to the situation at hand. It's kind of like yelling "fire." Get the attention of everyone around you. A would be attacker would rather move on to an easier target. This is called crime displacement.

Muscles work more efficently when you're breathing out. That means you can move faster, thus adding more power to the strike.

Remember when you were a kid and fell out of a tree? I do. I also remember the feeling that I may never be able to breathe again when it happened. The kiai allows you to control the amount of air that leaves your lungs when you get hit. This allows you to keep fighting even after being hit hard.

That's what we always learned anyway.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Startle the opponent.

As far as startling the opponent, I liken this to drawing attention to the situation at hand. It's kind of like yelling "fire." Get the attention of everyone around you. A would be attacker would rather move on to an easier target. This is called crime displacement.

Muscles work more efficently when you're breathing out. That means you can move faster, thus adding more power to the strike.

Remember when you were a kid and fell out of a tree? I do. I also remember the feeling that I may never be able to breathe again when it happened. The kiai allows you to control the amount of air that leaves your lungs when you get hit. This allows you to keep fighting even after being hit hard.

That's what we always learned anyway.

I might think you were the attacker if i see you kiaing and beating the crap out of someone :P

(just as a joke)

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I've always been taught to kihap but I don't think I truly started to understand it until black belt level. I've never used it as a scare tactic but more as a gathering of energy and a reminder to breath forcefully when striking. One of my instructors told a class once that it takes a very long time to "master" kihap, one shouldn't simply just yell, they have to well up the breath and energy from their danjun as they strike. I'm starting to learn to kihap with out the actual yell as I train more. I definately think there is value in it so long as you do it properly and know why its being done.

Tang Soo!

I think it can depend on how you kiai, I have heard some monstrous kiais that would make most people jump.

I personally don't think that they can drastically increase your power in a technique, I do think exhalation either through the mouth or nose can though.

1. Startle the opponent.

When I first started training, these were the reasons behind the kihap explained to me as well.

Well guys, Kihap is actually roughly translated from Korean as "battle cry" and well a lot of the meaning got lost when Martial arts came to America but it basically IS to keep your muscles relaxed as you hit, and be able to put focus on your attacks.

That's also why in some forms or martial arts you only do one when it is meant to be a strong hit, not on all attacks.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

Maybe it is just me, but the kihap is kind of more of an emphasis on certain techniques. I try to do all of my attacks strong, so that I have good power throughout.

I normally just exhale forcefully when striking or when "going for something" in grappling, and try to breathe through the nose only. Opening the mouth weakens the chin. I guess, the more air you push out, the stronger the technique is and the less likely the opponent is to be capable of countering - but do you want to assume they won't?

Kajukenbopr brought up a point (in a joke, but I think it's a good point all the same) - in a real fight, some people are going to decide who was the bad guy based on what they see after arriving late on the scene. They didn't see the other guy threaten you or try to take a swing at you, they only heard you kiai and saw you flying side kick the guy in the head. It sounds like aggression, which to many people is mutually exclusive to self defence.

Then again, any effective self defence will be like that. Just a thought...

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

That is a good point. That is why it is important to try to have someone around that can tell your side of the story. Even checking for bystanders that saw how everything started, and getting them to make statements, can help your case. Most likely, the two would be arrested. In court, though, you can make your case.

• 5 months later...

Kiai is good when your scared to fight off the "frozen state" or slow motion state where you say my body just didn't move for some reason. I couldn't react.

If you have to give a speech in public, Kiai may help and get a few laughs break the ice.

as you get better at what you do, you will probably do less and less.

Boxers make that shhhh noise, forces them to breathe under fire.

but a good boxer in his best performance breathes natural or his body tries to.