• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai...good or bad?

I think a kiai is a good thing, just if you keep your teeth and jaw closed, none of them hollywood, mouth wide-open screem at the top of your lungs typles of kiais for me... I do something that I've seen a few thai boxers (melchor menor for example) breath out and make a noise while keeping my teeth and jaw clenched, it works, adds power, and feels good.

To be honest, I'd questioned the 'traditional' (in quotations because we don't know how traditional it is) kiai method for years before trying it my way, and haven't gone back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a kiai is a good thing, just if you keep your teeth and jaw closed, none of them hollywood, mouth wide-open screem at the top of your lungs typles of kiais for me...

I don't think that there is anything wrong with a kiai performed like this...in fact, many cultures have used war yells like this in their histories.

You just have to use it in the right place and time.

many cultures have used war yells like this in their histories. You just have to use it in the right place and time.

The rebel yell was very effective, but it was done by huge groups of attacking Confederate soldiers trying to incite fear in Northern soldiers in a mob way while blostering their own courage.

Kiais are different, in my opinion.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

many cultures have used war yells like this in their histories. You just have to use it in the right place and time.

The rebel yell was very effective, but it was done by huge groups of attacking Confederate soldiers trying to incite fear in Northern soldiers in a mob way while blostering their own courage.

Mine too. A war yell is primal and used to raise your adrenaline into a frenzy type level. It's more about the group than about the individual. A kiai is about controlling you energy. It still raises adrenaline levels, but in a far more concentrated, controlled manner, which is focused into a single momentary event. It focuses your whole being on that one fraction of a second. Much different than a war cry.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

well of course the big yell kiai (as long as it isn't a scream (ewww...)) has it's spot in Martial arts, but it definately isn't the kind of thing you want unleashing when you throw that big punch or side-kick out. Like I said, I've found the same results while keeping my mouth closed, yet kiai-ing simultaneously. to me it just feels more natural

Mine too. A war yell is primal and used to raise your adrenaline into a frenzy type level. It's more about the group than about the individual. A kiai is about controlling you energy. It still raises adrenaline levels, but in a far more concentrated, controlled manner, which is focused into a single momentary event. It focuses your whole being on that one fraction of a second. Much different than a war cry.

I think that the kiai actually gets its origins from the group war yell of the ancients. It really all goes back to the same thing. The kiai, the war yell, the grunt of exertion when maxing out the bench press, and even when football and basketball players let out a shout when de-cleating someone or stuffing the basket home. They all have essentially the same goal, and the same origins, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

We ki-hap in training and i think it is very useful, firstly when people ask why i say it is intimidating when done right, secondly it helps make you loose becuase you cant hit things(i.e. boards) when completely rigid, and thirdly it sparks energy, and lastly, when you know you are going to get hit and can do nothing about it, if you ki hap and let the energy out as the technique hits you and the energy comes in and you tighten up at the same time, it could make the difference between a broken rib and a bruised rib.

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

• 3 weeks later...

chinese styles prefer to breathe normally. you keep your breath and u learn to keep more relaxed.

it allows more receptivity, more freedom of movement, etc.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

A great many of the examples being given are about kiaiing (sp?) when throwing or taking a hit, which in moderation I agree with to a degree (unleashing a flurry of blows and letting out a big kiai as you land the last one does sound nice). But one of the aspects that I don't like is the big kiai before you fight (not breaking a board). In my TKD days, we were taught to let out a big kiyap and then get into a defensive stance, but I was thinking that this only serves to put your opponent on his guard more...unless of course you look like Conan or something which in that case you can pretty much just say 'hi' to the same effect.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

What are your thoughts on this? Are they necessary? How do they help? In my younger years of TKD it was encouraged to Kiai before an attack (in sparring or breaks). Personally I think that to do a battle cry well telegraph that you know martial arts, thus putting your attacker on their guard.

I always hated the kiai. Today i have a sore throat so imma get away with out kiain in training.

As for as its usefullness an drawbacks... dont know. Its just part of karate/tkd, i never questioned it. People have been doing kiais since before karate, you know when you lift that huge cabinet your like, " Argggggghaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!", an you get that extra boost of adrenaline, that to me is a kiai.