• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai...good or bad?

Growling is a more applicable tactic if you are talking about self defence situations. There is nothing more disheartening than hearing someone growling like a wild beast in your ear whilst trying to rip your head off.

I think that this kind of action is related to the basic idea of behind the kiai/kihap. Many weapons fighters would give out a war yell in the thick of combat, I think mainly to help relieve the nerves involved when you put your life on the line in such a manner. I am pretty sure that it wouldn't be done in the same, regimented manner that the kiai is taught in MA schools, but it is the same general concept, much like you described above.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wenever ive had to kiai in class i feel odd, it does not come naturally. as a result i come out with a half hearted attempt (oooh scary!) which sounds even more pathetic than if i hadn't bothered at all! maybe i'll be enlightened one day? :idea:

I think its important, and not just for startling your oponent, It can actually useful if done correctly,

The article on wikipedia is interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiai

Also, I remember watching a martial arts documentrary, On it there was a master who could bring his opponents to their knees using his kiai and he could actually cause a bell to sound!

Hello, Have you ever lift something really heavy off the ground, to push something to move it?

Do you feel yourself giving a type of yell (kiai)? This is our natural way of adding some power. Has to do with breathing too.

Most people who break boards and bricks feels it does add power!

There is the mental side of it too (for you) and to the opponant. It means you mean business. A kiai can be giving before an attack or during the strike.

As a rule of thumb...if a lot of people do it? ...means there is a good reason for it!

Is it necessary in ever strike? ...NO ...is necessay at all? ...NO..

If a person attacks you with Kiai"s?.....wouldn't it intimidate you more!

In a real fight? ...it becomes your choice to kiai! Kiai's is a good indication of the other person giving away he is a train martial artist.

We practice it kiai's in training...and it does carry over as natural part of our strikes.

In time you will know how it works for you? and if how you feel about it both ways. ..I believe you will find kiai's have a purpose. .........Aloha

I think its important, and not just for startling your oponent, It can actually useful if done correctly,

Also, I remember watching a martial arts documentrary, On it there was a master who could bring his opponents to their knees using his kiai and he could actually cause a bell to sound!

I've seen that documentary before but...I have major doubts that the one karate master.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think teaching people to kiai is one of the greatest flaws in many traditional martial arts.

For one, many instructors tell you that it strengthens your attacks. Theres really not much physical evidence to support this. Mike Tyson generates an awful lot of power (as does any heavyweight boxer) and they certainly dont kiai.

Another reason is that in order to kiai, you need to open your mouth which is inherently bad to do in a fight. If your opponent is also throwing an attack and clocks you on the jaw while you're in the middle of a kiai, you're going to get knocked out. Always keep your teeth clinched when in a fight.

A happy medium is simply to breathe out through your nose (a hard quick breath). Its not so much that you're going to hit harder, but you're taught in styles such as boxing and muay thai that you each time you attempt to hit your opponent, you should be prepared to be hit yourself. This is for obvious reasons, when you're attacking your defense isnt going to be very good. By breathing out (your nose, not your mouth) you can contract your muscles to prepare for your opponents attack as well.

I couldn't agree more with ninjer. A sharp breath out your nose or mouth (depending on your mouthguard, if you're wearing one) is much more effective and takes less energy. I'd rather use that energy in my strike while keeping my abdominal muscles tight.

Similarly, I think the same thing about lifting weights. Noisy weightlifters are wasting energy. The occasional grunt is okay.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I do weight training and if you think about it though. Dont you think you could ift something heavier than you normally could if you let out a massive kiai as your lifting?? :) I havn't tried but im nearly sure I could.

The trick is to build compression. If your kiai was a compression-building sound that increased your strength, like a grunt or a hiss, then it would.

Fighter pilots have a maneuver where they catch their exhaled breath in their throat by saying the word "hook" when pulling G's, holding most of the air in untril it's time for a quick exhale and rebreath. This keeps the blood in your head to prevent G-induced loss of consciousness. It builds compression inside and lets you strain against the force, essentially making you temporarily stronger. Obviously you need to breathe more rapidly when fighting, so the analogy isn't perfect.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TqQbCYa5noA&mode=user&search= This is what you were referring to right? The documentary is interesting, but hardly accurate in my opinion. I doubt that it took too much special talent to ring that bell (which didn't even ring on the last go).

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt