• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kiai...good or bad?

What are your thoughts on this? Are they necessary? How do they help? In my younger years of TKD it was encouraged to Kiai before an attack (in sparring or breaks). Personally I think that to do a battle cry well telegraph that you know martial arts, thus putting your attacker on their guard.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is good, but in moderation. I like to put a kihap on a move to really give it some umf, like when making contact with a spin heel kick, or something like that. I kihap on board breaks as well.

What are your thoughts on this? Are they necessary? How do they help? In my younger years of TKD it was encouraged to Kiai before an attack (in sparring or breaks). Personally I think that to do a battle cry well telegraph that you know martial arts, thus putting your attacker on their guard.

Spent a few years doing kiai's in karate training, whilst im sure it has its place in maintaining the traditional aspects of an oriental art, i dont have any place for it in my current training, or find it useful. Alot of the time its done because a person is told to by the instructor, not because it serves a purpose.

Growling is a more applicable tactic if you are talking about self defence situations. There is nothing more disheartening than hearing someone growling like a wild beast in your ear whilst trying to rip your head off.

I'm sure we all have been taught the various reasons for kiai so I won't go into them here. All I know is there seems to be much more spirit on the floor when there are lots of kiais. I visited a different dojo Tuesday night and they don't kiai. It seemed really weird to me. I did it several times out of force of habit and felt really out of place. It finally occurred to me that I needed to keep it under control for fear that the others would think I was trying to show off. It was a pretty good class but not a very spirited class like I'm used to.

I agree with bushido... its got it's place, just in moderation. Kiai-ing after every strike seems kind of silly. It can help to focus you when you're fighting. It probably wouldn't really frighten anybody, but then again, maybe it would. I've never had to find out.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I think teaching people to kiai is one of the greatest flaws in many traditional martial arts.

For one, many instructors tell you that it strengthens your attacks. Theres really not much physical evidence to support this. Mike Tyson generates an awful lot of power (as does any heavyweight boxer) and they certainly dont kiai.

Another reason is that in order to kiai, you need to open your mouth which is inherently bad to do in a fight. If your opponent is also throwing an attack and clocks you on the jaw while you're in the middle of a kiai, you're going to get knocked out. Always keep your teeth clinched when in a fight.

A happy medium is simply to breathe out through your nose (a hard quick breath). Its not so much that you're going to hit harder, but you're taught in styles such as boxing and muay thai that you each time you attempt to hit your opponent, you should be prepared to be hit yourself. This is for obvious reasons, when you're attacking your defense isnt going to be very good. By breathing out (your nose, not your mouth) you can contract your muscles to prepare for your opponents attack as well.

I think one of the things is the overexposure to it that we have nowdays in movies and competitions. Back in the way back when, there wasn't the exposure to that kind of thing that we have now, so a kiai might have actually startled somebody. Now it's one of the most common responses when somebody finds out you practice martial arts. There face gets all screwed up and they do some kind of lame hand chop and kiai in that whiny pitch.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

hmmmm I've always kiaied O.o

No one ever told me to, it just feels natural to me. *shrugs* it helps me focus and transfer my energy ^.~ that is part of my own style :P

but i've never kiaied when punching a punching bag XD

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

We do train in kiai -- but rather than to kiai as you attack, or before, we kiai as we make contact with the target. This assists us in focusing not only our minds but for our muscles in transferring the appropriate power into the target.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu