• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uncle NightOwl's Martial Movie Reviews

Wow!!! These are great reviews! I don't agree with all of them.

For example, I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I was able to put up with the strings (usually a no-no for me) because the characters even make referance to being able to fly. To me, that would be like saying Superman was sucky because he was flying. If the character has that power, you can't fault it. The martial arts in the movie were supposed to be superhuman. You see how easily they put away the lesser skilled characters. As for the story line, I thought it developed a little slowly also (Especially the desert stuff). But I liked the story overall. I especially like that the hero was killed by the bad guy. That's something that doesn't happen enough.

I really didn't like fearless. I think because the people were supposed to be human but pulled off superhuman feats. And I really don't go for the Dim Mak stuff. I think that's a cop-out in the movie world.

I still love the reviews though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!! These are great reviews! I don't agree with all of them.

For example, I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I was able to put up with the strings (usually a no-no for me) because the characters even make referance to being able to fly. To me, that would be like saying Superman was sucky because he was flying. If the character has that power, you can't fault it. The martial arts in the movie were supposed to be superhuman. You see how easily they put away the lesser skilled characters. As for the story line, I thought it developed a little slowly also (Especially the desert stuff). But I liked the story overall. I especially like that the hero was killed by the bad guy. That's something that doesn't happen enough.

I really didn't like fearless. I think because the people were supposed to be human but pulled off superhuman feats. And I really don't go for the Dim Mak stuff. I think that's a cop-out in the movie world.

I still love the reviews though.

Hm hm, I would agree to an extent except for such a high production movie, the martial arts were just...bad. You can practically see the digitally erased wires. When they say they are super human but in implementation just spin around a lot then I don't buy it. On the other hand in movies like Iron Monkey and fearless, wires are used but there is actual skill going on. As for the story elements including the hero dying- even the shaw classic 5 deadly venoms had a major protagonist die. Regardless it is ok to disagree...as long as I still think I am right in the end :P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Movie: The Karate Kid

Directed by: John G. Avildsen

Released: 1984, USA

Starring: Ralph Macchio, Noriyuki "Pat" Morita, Elisabeth Shue, William Zabka, Martin Kove

Style(s) Showcased: Karate (fictional, some random styles including Shito Ryu)

Trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FOUGf_s4hy4

Clip:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1530/karatekidch1.jpg

Story: After moving from the the scenic New Jersey to the slightly less scenic Southern California with his single mom (you can't have everything ), Daniel LaRusso (Macchio) finds adjusting to life hard. That is, until he meets the pretty girl Ali at school. Problem is, her jealous ex boyfriend Johnny (Zabka) and his friends are a bunch of bullies who happen to all train at the local karate dojo 'Kobra Kai' under a ruthless sensei (Kove). After Daniel pulls of a prank to get back at the bullying from Johnny's gang, he finds himself cornered and gets badly beaten before he can make it back to his apartment. However out of nowhere, the apartment's handyman, an elderly Japanese immigrant named Mr. Miyagi intervenes and handily defeats the gang with his own karate. At first reluctant, Mr. Miyagi eventually agrees to train Daniel when he realizes that the Kobra Kai gym won't leave Johnny alone, and thus begins a journey and friendship leading up to the finale- a showdown at the All Valley Karate Tournament :o

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9218/karatekidll5.jpg

Review:

What to say about The Karate Kid? I have mentioned it before on the forums, but usually not the best of terms- usually blaming it for things like black belt mills, watering of training for kids, and the endangering of the White Rhino. After seeing the movie, I still do to an extent hold the views, but at the same time I found myself agreeing that it deserves its place as a classic...perhaps one of the best sports movies of all time. Initially, the karate kid was never planned to be a big hit at all, but became a sensation and cultural phenomenon via great audience reception turning it into the very model of a sleeper hit. To this day, the stereotypical 'martial arts' move is the crane kick (one that I am sure many of you have seen demonstrated for your amusement countless times when you mention that you do martial arts), and although the actor has now passed away, I know that we all kind of wish we had own own Mr. Miyagi living next door. As for the martial aspects of the movie- there isn't too much. Pat Morita had a lot of his work done for him by a stunt double, the Shito ryu trained and highly accomplished Fumio Demura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumio_Demura) and Martin Kove (The Kobra Kai sensei) has a backround in Okinawan style Karate. Yes, it has a martial arts theme to the story, but it is actually more about character interaction- going through high school, facing challenges, and the finding of a surrogate father (and son). I found the relationship between Daniel and Miyagi to be quite touching (he was nominated for a supporting actor academy award), and this is where the movie shines as you see both of them grow together. And although you KNOW how the movie will end, you can't help but hope for the best and be excited as Daniel competes against the best in the region to ultimately come face to face with his high school rival.

As with all movies, there are some faults with this one. In particular, the school scenes and scenes with the girl. It reeks of more 80's then the entire cast of Dallas stuffed in your sock drawer for 3 weeks, and doesn't hold up particularly well. Also, I find it a bit unfair that only the bad guys in the film do hard training, while the 'soft' methods are reserved for the hero of the story. I mean, it does send a bit of a message. Anyways, besides the 80's and some other minor problems, this really is a great movie- and if you haven't seen it you really do owe it to yourself to capture not just a great sport/martial arts movie, but a influential part of American media history.

Pros:

Although predictable, a nevertheless engaging story as the movie unfolds

Very likable central character with a strong development

An AWESOME montage song

Inspiring this music video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

Cons:

Most of the school/ girl scenes are not up to par

Negative view on hard training and being the SOLE reason for martial arts commercialization...maybe. I just need a reason and a hug :bawling:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

SEE THESE MOVIE OR BRING DISHONOR TO YOUR FAMILY:

Ong Bak

Drunken Master

Kung fu Hustle

Samurai Fiction

Once Upon a Time in China II

Project A

Iron Monkey

Fearless

The Karate Kid

RENT 'THE NOTEBOOK' FOR A BETTER ACTION FLICK:

The Big Boss

3 Ninjas

Romeo Must Die

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Edited by NightOwl

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Karate Kid 2? Overall not bad.

Karate Kid 3 and Next Karate Kid? Let's not go there.

Nah, c'mon! Let's!

I love to see honest opinions (as long as they fall into the User Guidelines, of course!;).

I found it hard to believe Daniel-san could beat a trained Okinawan black belt, especially one who wanted to kill him.

Ralph Macchio seemed to be sleepwalking through KK3.

KK4 was obviously a blatant attempt to appeal to female students, and not well acted.

Pat Morita looked like he was doing it for the money.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

• 3 months later...

I'm really glad you plugged this thread again :D

(edit: Oh, and Karate Kid had a part of me starting in the martial arts. :karate: Turtles too, how about a review? :idea: )

Keep 'em coming, I really really appreciate it. :idea:

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson