• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm Back and Here's Why!!!

Some of you may have noticed my absence (some may not) over the weekend.

Well, on Wednesday night in class, I was sparring a rather large student. He was testing for a stripe, so he was going "all-out". All eyes were on us, because I was a part of testing him (he's actually a higher belt than I am, but I was warming him up).

At some point very early in the match, I apparently "walked right into" one of his back kicks. This kick hit me straight in my right eye at full force. :bawling:

My friends helped me take my gear off so I could breathe, and eventually helped me to the car. My brother drove me home, where I threw up and Mom took us to the hospital. I was there from about 8pm to about midnight. I had a catscan (fun fun fun...I thought the machine was going to eat me or something) a couple shots, and found out I had a concussion. All this was without seeing anything because I couldn't see out of my right eye.

Now, I'm a bit better. I'm not wearing an eye patch anymore, and I actually got through 2 demos and a Relay for Life cancer benefit over the weekend :smile: My wonderful friends snapped my eye patch a couple of times, and did some ridiculous things simply because they knew I couldn't roll my eyes :cry:

But other than their usual joking were very supportive :wink:

I'm still not supposed to spar until I'm 100% better...doctor's orders. I'm pretty freaked out about sparring again though... :uhoh:

We told the doctors to expect the guy who hit me to come into the ER soon :brow:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Like Forest Gump said "it happens."

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Always expect the unexpected......hit them just hard as they hit you. This will keep them honest, but in your case since you did not have the chance to return the favor, just remember to maintain your self contol and focus the next time you spar with this upper rank. If he/she should loose his/her focus and control during that sparring session, simply return the favor. :mad:

Keep your chin up and get well soon! :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I agree with Pacific. I had this guy in my TSD school that used to go "all out" when he sparred. He went all out on our instructor, and my instructor got kicked hard by him, so he returned the "favor". :grin: Side kick to the ol' ribs. Then he did the same to someone else, and got the same "favor". By the time he did the same to me, I think he was getting the hint. Because he hit me hard, and I got pissed (I guess he saw it in my eyes), and I went to kick him and he moved ggggrrr. I was aiming for the same spot my instructor got him. I wonder if he is still doing the same thing. I'll find out in June when I visit home (NJ).

Laurie F

... unfortunately I have seen this happen many a time with "short people" .... I am sure this has taught you a valuable lesson.

We tall folks all know that short people have less reach, keep out of range, start combinations with long range attacks only move inside when their guard has been opened. They get you to come inside and get close because that's how they fight....and when we hit them it's devastating because they are that close and feel the power of the kick so much more. I am sure it was not his intention to injure you and I would hope that afterwards he offered an apology to you .... so your last comment worries me. Is that the right attitude to have?

You say it was at his test time ... his adrenaline was rushing and he was I'm sure pulling no punches (so-to-speak).

If I land a kick to my opponent's head, I will certainly check to see if they are ok, but i won't say sorry because if given a second chance I will do it again. However, if I crack someone in the nuts, or kick someone and they go down writhing in pain ...I will say sorry, because it was not my intention to injure my opponent. I would make a concious effort not to do it again as might be the case with your opponent.

So what I'm saying to you is, if your opponent landed a good hit, his attack was successful your defense was not!. That's what sparring is all about - the refinement and improvement of fighting skills.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-20 10:35 ]

Hey, I'm doing that Relay for Life as well!!!

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Monkey Girl, do not be discouraged. Accidents do happen. I am not tall myself, in fact IM the smallest adult male in our dojo. I have walked into quite a few shots to the head. When you spar larger opponents this happens a lot. Be prepared and keep your guard up us height challenged people will get a lot of action to the head. We allow controlled contact to the head and face. No one wants to intentionally injure their dojomates. Improved control comes with practice and time. Try getting in close on the big ones so they cant extend their legs while you still can.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Oops.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression! I was only joking when I said he'd be in the Emergency Room next. He apologized profusely...even if he hadn't it just isn't in my nature to actually HURT anyone...to a fault.

:dead:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.