• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quitting Karate On The Eve Of The Black Belt Test

In retrospect, I agree with those here who say good riddance. Better that they do not represent our dojo as black belts with their attitude towards training and our dojo. However, I do understand that their need for greater physical contact was not met in our environment (they come from a previous school where there was lots of sparring). We simply don't do much free sparring, though we do plenty of other structured fight training.

Having boxed and practiced MT, it can be a little frustrating not to have a chance to spar on a regular basis, and I feel that this may be a weakness in our program. But our sensei is quite upfront about the philosophy of our school, and he tells white belts that if they are looking for a heavy fighting emphasis, that they need to go elsewhere.

Personally, I would prefer less "do" and more "karate" myself, but I do appreciate my school and have derived substantial benefits from participating over the years. Karate has made my Muay Thai better, and MT has complemented my karate. That said, I still find it ridiculous how someone can put the time and effort into something and then not test for the most desired goal in our art.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very succinct, Sohan!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Great post, Sohan. I can understand how the frustration continues, though, even under the listed circumstances. I understand how you feel about them quitting, and I think it is the Instructor coming out in you. I would feel the same way as well. No matter the reasons, it is always tough to see students go. It always makes you wonder if you could have done more for them. However, in the end, it is their own decision to make.

It's funny, but we MA-ists (instructors) have a very different attitude about training than boxing trainers do. What I mean is that we have an expectation that folks will stick around until BB & beyond: boxing trainers don't. I think it is a by-product of having a belt system. (Since we have one, we figure everyone will do what it takes to get "the big one.")

My 1st intro into boxing was after & been in MA for more than a dozen years. The 1st class, the trainer taught my to throw 2 jabs & a cross. He told me to do that until he came to get me. I knew it was a test to see how long I'd stay. After 7 rounds, he came to check on me. My arms were dead, but I was still going. My younger (teenage) students had given up at round 4. I stuck with that gym for many years. But, the trainer had the expectation that "boxing training is hard" & a lot of folks can't do what it takes. Folks come in & out of the gym due to 100 reasons. If you're there, I'll pay attention to you. If not, I'll move onto the next person who shows up often.

I think MA instructors could learn to adopt this mindset more.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Great post. That's how my JKD instructor does it. We all have limited time to give - it's our most precious resource. If you're in class, he'll teach you. If you show commitment and some perseverance, than he'll mentor you. There is a big difference.

Great post. That's how my JKD instructor does it. We all have limited time to give - it's our most precious resource. If you're in class, he'll teach you. If you show commitment and some perseverance, than he'll mentor you. There is a big difference.

I think that this is a good thing. However, I try to give all I can to each of my students. However, I do think it is easier when the students are demonstrating their willingness to go beyond the call of duty.

I try to give all I can to each of my students. However, I do think it is easier when the students are demonstrating their willingness to go beyond the call of duty.

You said it better than I. :)

Hmmm.... I expect that most students will quit before they reach black belt level. Some instructors I've talked with have a hard time with this, they don't want to give their all to people who might not be there in a month or a year. I take a different approach. I give the best I can to each of my students, making sure that even if they do quit, which most of them will, they will still gain a lot from the experiance. They will still be able to look back in a few years and think man, I learned a lot at karate. Whether its mental or physical training they take with them, I hope they take something, regardless of how long or how short they are with me.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Hmmm.... I expect that most students will quit before they reach black belt level. Some instructors I've talked with have a hard time with this, they don't want to give their all to people who might not be there in a month or a year. I take a different approach. I give the best I can to each of my students, making sure that even if they do quit, which most of them will, they will still gain a lot from the experiance. They will still be able to look back in a few years and think man, I learned a lot at karate. Whether its mental or physical training they take with them, I hope they take something, regardless of how long or how short they are with me.

Excellent post. I agree completely.