• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

AAU Karate Reigonals

lordtariel

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If we qualify within the top 6 at the State Championships then we will go to the Region 1 Tournament in Albany, NY in April. Good luck out there on the West Coast. Let us know how you do. If we qualify there we will go to the Nationals in Winston/Salem, NC. Maybe we will see you there.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

• 2 weeks later...

The Ronin Martial Arts Club will field about 8 competitors this Sunday at the AAU NJ State Karate Championships. I am doing team kata for the 1st time. I don't know why I'm more nervous about this than fighting. I think because if you are out of sync you stick out like a sore thumb. Any tips?

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Good luck with the competition. My dojo competes in AAU Karate tournaments too. I live in New York State, so we'll be in the Northeast Regional (Region 1) in Albany in late April. My district qualifier is this weekend in Rochester, NY.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

tekki, I hope to meet you at the Regionals in Albany next month.

I was really proud of my students today. Five of them competed and they took home 5 medals. My son Ben took 3rd in kata & 2nd in Kumite in the 15-16 yr. old intermediate div. Steve my brown belt took 3rd in kumite and 5th in kata. Shelly my 19 yr. old white belt took silver in kumite. Simon a little 8 yr. old white belt took 1st place after 5 fights. He is so cute! He is like one of those kids from the old cartoons whose legs are going like a spinning wheel when you pick them up. Set him down and he takes off like a shot. I posted some pictures in the competition area. You gotta see Simon.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Edited by Sensei Tom O'Brien

Thanks guys,

On a down note I had trained 2 black belts from TKD in Bassai Dai, Shotokan style. They had asked me to teach them a karate kata. Both of them have 12-15 yrs. experience in the arts. They are not young kids. One guy is a 2nd Dan and the other a 1st Dan. They are 63 and 48 yrs. old respectively. So we trained in B assai Dai for about a month. We signed up to do Team Kata, something I had never done before. I was really looking forward to it. I received a voice mail the morning before the tournament telling me that they were not coming. I was competing anyway, in kata & kobudo but I was really disappointed about having to cancel the Team Kata. I had a great name for our team the Ronin. Anyway, when I spoke to them after the event they told me they didn’t feel ready & there had been a snow storm the day before & they were tired from shoveling snow. They had each paid $50 and a $10 fee for the team competition. I was only out ten bucks. I lost a lot of respect for these 2 black belts. I don’t look at them as dedicated martial artists anymore. I don’t know what else to do except let them know how I feel & what I think a responsible black belt should be. I had another negative incident happen when one of the parents of my best green belt left the tournament after kata. Danny is a great fighter. He has the potential to be a national champion. The dad’s excuse was that Danny was too tired. I happen to know that Danny’s dad had an appointment at about 4pm because he had told me this information when he asked me how long the tournament would take. He convinced his son Danny that he was too ‘tired’ to fight. I told him that he was making a big mistake. I told him that his son was 5 minutes away from being a State Champion. I explained that this was not just another local tournament but it was a State Championship & if Danny won he would be an AAU State Karate Champion. He left anyway. So there was some bad with the good but a lot more good than bad. That’s life.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

I can understand your feelins, Tom. But, you have to take the good with the bad, I guess.

You never know, mabe the guys had good reasons, as well. Perhaps they thought that they would not be doing you justice by being unprepared. Talk to them first, before you really let them have it.

At the same time, it's really irresponsible to wait until the last day to let you know. Sorry you had some bad experiences.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1