• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

goju ryu vid

french fri25

take a look at this video. looks like a pretty physically demanding style to me. is this how all or many goju ryu schools train? its nice to see traditional karate using good ole tough training. training nowadays, you see too many wimpy people if you know what i mean. with all the blocking shields and there is so much sparring gear that martial artists are starting to look like hockey goalies. i think this is what martial arts training should look like. http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXY4FgKlLok

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, Many schools have some kind of contact in there training. This school is very hard core.

The idea is to develop the body for increase pain threshold. LIke in boxing it takes a few months before most of the people feel NO pain or very little pain.

Hitting also makes the body tougher. Have you seen guys with purple color shins? Look's bad...and you do not want to get kick by them.(Like an iron pipe).

Most karate schools that do not allow alot of hard hitting or contact...many of there students (when on the street fights) are shock when the get hit! and are not use to being hit that hard.

Keep in mind...a person body cannot endure lots of punishment...when you get older...you will pay for the injuries and lots of pain in the joints too

These guys in the videos...they are tough! ...Aloha

This training looks kind of interesting. I like the blocking drills, and the movements involved. Taking an unprotected punch to the gut, however, is not my idea of a learning experience, though.

Overall, not bad, though.

Hello, Learning to take hits will prevent you from being surprise in a real fight. (Getting a strike to the body or head).

Hard body contacts will prepare you for that time! Over doing is not good too.

How prepare you want to be? those people who spar and accidently get a power hit...starts to complain..do not realize in a real fight...it doesn't stop if you are hurt. The attacker will love to see you giving up, and not fighting back.

There is a place and time for hard hitting....make sure it is safe too!....Aloha

i agree. its very important to learn how to block and things, but what if you miss a block and get nailed? suddenly your body wont be thinking about what move to do on him or how to counter. it will just be thinking about how bad you are hurting. its important to be able to take a shot or 2 and still be able to focus on defending yourself.

i agree. its very important to learn how to block and things, but what if you miss a block and get nailed? suddenly your body wont be thinking about what move to do on him or how to counter. it will just be thinking about how bad you are hurting. its important to be able to take a shot or 2 and still be able to focus on defending yourself.

I agree with this mindset. However, boxers don't line up in their first class and just take hits. There is no doubt that they can take a punch, though.

Besides that, I don't see any of them taking those unblocked shots to the face. I would think that would be a high priority target on the streets. If you are going to take a cheap shot, that is probably where it is going to be directed.

Well, I won't way that all Goju dojos are that hardcore, but a key concept is that you will be hit, so you need to be in shape so you can take it.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

thats true Bushido Man but and i understand that you cant punch each other in the face in class. but, if you learn to take shots to the body and you do get into a street fight, you wont have to worry as much about getting hit in the body, you will be able to concentrate 100% on protecting your head. protecting your body will become secondary, protecting your head will be the primary goal, and a trained Karate-Ka should be able to protect his/her head because 1) they are trained how to block 2) their head is a small target so they should be able to cover it decently with their arms.

thats true Bushido Man but and i understand that you cant punch each other in the face in class. but, if you learn to take shots to the body and you do get into a street fight, you wont have to worry as much about getting hit in the body, you will be able to concentrate 100% on protecting your head. protecting your body will become secondary, protecting your head will be the primary goal, and a trained Karate-Ka should be able to protect his/her head because 1) they are trained how to block 2) their head is a small target so they should be able to cover it decently with their arms.

I agree; these are good points. I just don't see any reason to take a full on shot in the gut from a guy who has been punching things for most of his life. And as you said, most likely, in the street, the punches come to the head. That leaves me questioning the reasoning of the concept.

It may just sound like I don't want to take an open shot in the gut. Well, I confess, that is the case. I just think there are better training methods than that out there, like the way boxers and Thai fighters prepare for it.