• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this right for me?

lufbrajames

Hi newbie here

About 2 years ago i gave up martial arts due to an injury and didnt start back up after it was healed, the style that i used to study was sil lum kune (https://www.sli-lum-kune.com) i achieved Orange Sash.

White

Yellow

Orange

Green

Red

Blue

Purple

Brown

Pre-black

Black

I had to grade to get my white sash wich i thought was a bit strange, anyway i want to know whether Kyokushin is right for me, there is a club in my town (https://www.loughboroughkarate.co.uk)

I am really unfit at the moment, and wish to start martial arts again, there are Wydo Ryu and Shotokan clubs near as well i want a club that offers more than just fighting i want the mental side as well, also i want the opportunity to compete in competitions. I would also like to know a bit about the grading system.

Also does anybody have any comments about the instructor? Sunil Tailor?

Thanks

Kung Fu rules!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry my friend. Only you can know if it's right for you. Kyokushin will certainly get you into shape though. If that's what you want. It's full contact and, in my opinion, a very solid karate system.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I am really unfit at the moment, and wish to start martial arts again, there are Wydo Ryu and Shotokan clubs near as well i want a club that offers more than just fighting i want the mental side as well, also i want the opportunity to compete in competitions. I would also like to know a bit about the grading system.

It will certainly offer the fighting side, some of the mental, competition, and has ps1 mentioned, full contact fighting.

It seems, from your post, that you have an interest in grading and belts, if all your looking for is belts, then maybe its not for you.

Go to each of the schools that you mentioned, and watch a class. Then, interview each of the instructors in the same manner that you are asking these questions to us. This will help you get the best answer.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forums! :karate:

there is a club in my town (https://www.loughboroughkarate.co.uk)

Also does anybody have any comments about the instructor? Sunil Tailor?

Thanks

Ooh, you live where I go college! What a small world it is...

I've heard of that school supposed to quite good, but depending on your style preferences, I know of a wado-ryu that trains in Loughborough (I think it might be the same one you're on about) and a number of friends go there. Without knowing much about I'd recommend the Wado-ryu school as I've heard they have a good atmosphere and the teaching is good too.

Definately go and have a look at the schools first hand though :karate:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Awesome, i go the Loughborough Uni

The Wado ryu club is a university club, is that the one you're referring to?

Is the main difference between Kyokushin and Shotokan and Wado ryu? is it just the sparring being full contact?

I think i am going to watch the club train this Thursday and get some more information from the instructor.

James

Kung Fu rules!

Awesome, i go the Loughborough Uni

The Wado ryu club is a university club, is that the one you're referring to?

Is the main difference between Kyokushin and Shotokan and Wado ryu? is it just the sparring being full contact?

I think i am going to watch the club train this Thursday and get some more information from the instructor.

James

Kyokushin form's more like a sloppy version of goju ryu with some imported TKD kicks, rather than Wado or shoto (which are fairly similar-ish).

Hello, Kyokushin , I believe was started by Mas Oyama. (FOR ELKY)

Mas Oyama was one of the toughtest Karate's experts. His Kyokushin has a 100 men test (you have to fight 50 fighers in one day and the next day another 50 men, all black belts. Mas Oyama fought 100 in a day, only a few men can claim this honor.

You may call it sloppy...They train full contact and there tournments are full contact with many knock outs. (you have to see them).

There school is known for producing only tough fighters. You would not want to fight them.

Most fights are sloppy and anything goes....NO such things as a neat fight!

Mas Oyama has killed Bulls with his hands...(on camera).

There are many information and videos about Mas Oyama and his karate style of call: Kyokushin karate. (just search).

Mr Elky...do not underestimate Kyokushin karate....it may seem sloppy to you...in class...but on the streets....some of the toughest karate around.

Just my thoughts here and opinion...........Aloha

Hello, Kyokushin , I believe was started by Mas Oyama. (FOR ELKY)

Mas Oyama was one of the toughtest Karate's experts. His Kyokushin has a 100 men test (you have to fight 50 fighers in one day and the next day another 50 men, all black belts. Mas Oyama fought 100 in a day, only a few men can claim this honor.

You may call it sloppy...They train full contact and there tournments are full contact with many knock outs. (you have to see them).

There school is known for producing only tough fighters. You would not want to fight them.

Most fights are sloppy and anything goes....NO such things as a neat fight!

Mas Oyama has killed Bulls with his hands...(on camera).

There are many information and videos about Mas Oyama and his karate style of call: Kyokushin karate. (just search).

Mr Elky...do not underestimate Kyokushin karate....it may seem sloppy to you...in class...but on the streets....some of the toughest karate around.

Just my thoughts here and opinion...........Aloha

I don't underestimate kyokushin - I just said it looks like sloppy Goju ryu with more kicking (which it does). Doesn't mean they can't fight - they undoubtedly can!