• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you make your punches faster?

Kante

I don't really have a problem with my punches being fast - I have a problem with my punches being hard. I'm really trying to strengthen the knuckles.

Why is that such a problem? How many times recently would it have been truely beneficial for you to be able to punch hard? The reason i ask these questions is because you could spend all the time in the world "strengthening" your knuckles, trying to punch harder, but how much use will it really be for you? Maybe its really important and you have a great reason for doing it, im not trying to judge, just asking the question.

Your knuckles will only get so "strong", there will always be a part of the human body you will hit thats going to be harder than you knuckles and damage them. Not to mention if you do it wrong, when you reach old age you will have more trouble than most with dexterity and may suffer from arthritis that might have been avoided if you didnt spend so much time trying to hone a skill that may not even be of use to you in your life.

Just some thoughts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross makes a good point. Power is based off of speed and size, techinque, and other factors. You may not be hitting hard because you are not properly following through with your techniques into the targets.

When you punch the bag, focus on hitting the spot that is 3 or 4 inches deep into the bag, not the surface of the bag itself.

Well what I mean is that in my dojo, like many others, we break boards at promotions. Also, one of our warm-ups is knuckle push-ups.

I can't do those things if my knuckles are not caloused enough.

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

The calouses will come with time.

We break boards at our testings as well, and the only time I have problems with my knuckles is when I don't break.

At my last testing, I bounced on the boards, and was getting ready to punch them again. I was furious at this time, and as I got ready to punch again, the GM asked me to change my technique. This hacked me off even more, because I didn't know why he wanted me to change. Then, I looked at my knuckle, and it was broken open, and bleeding profusely. So, I switched techniques.

The trick (For ME) with knuckle pushups is having a very, very tight fist.

When you do your techniques you want your fist to be tight as well so its good training to keep your fist super tight, with no gaps whatsoever inside the fist which might absorb some of the shock coming back off of your opponent.

I have callouses on my toes, heels, etc but none on my knuckles and I dont find any problem with knuckle pushups. Close that fist up tight and keep your wrist straight, that way the force should be transferred up the arm and away from the nerve endings in your knuckles.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

Yikes!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try that and see how it works for me.

Knuckle push-ups are not really something I enjoy - I was always taught that push-ups on the knuckles can lead to arthritis in the hands. Is there any truth in this?

Usually I prefer using hammer fist for breaking.

My Sensei finds that breaking comes easiest for her when she uses her elbows.

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

• 3 weeks later...
We usually use palm strikes to break boards, but if you use your fist make sure it's tight and like bushido says strike 3-4 inches past your target.

Palms are nice for breaking. My middle brother did 3 boards with no problem.

Simply focusing on hitting a target 3 to 4 inches past the surface of the target is not enough. Your acceleration must explode after impact in order to truly gain penetration. Most people do this in reverse; they accelerate from the very beginning and their punches start to decelerate after they hit the target.

Destructive power has nothing to do with callused knuckles. It has everything to do with technique.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Hold dumbbells in your fists and do punching drills in the air.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu