Kante

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, One more thing to add with all the great info's. Most of your tarkets in a fight will be moving in many directions.

Speed helps..but accuracy is more important (timing). You can be twice as fast as the other person. But if the guys connects to you...?

Speed plus strenght: equals an explosive power! Accuracy = the difference between winning and losing.

No mather how fast you read this....the power will remine the same...but the point will be on tarket...therefore accurate. ....HUH? Aloha

One thing I noticed that works for my is get a five pound weight in your hand , go into the appropriete stance and practice your punches at full speed with the weight in your hand while breathing properly with your punches. It seems to have sped up my punches especially my reverse punch. Just remember not to hyperextend yourself

Be really careful with this. It's easy to injure yourself if you get too much weight and do accidentally hyperextend. I find this method works best when you do it slow to improve your technique. You'll still get the strength training and you'll know that it's your technique driving the punch and not momentum. I usually do it with wrist and ankle weights so I can get some training on my kicks as well.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

do speedbags really help much?

Speed bags are great for developing both timing and speed, in my experience. There are different sized speed bags out there as well, depending on how experienced you are with them.

One thing I noticed that works for my is get a five pound weight in your hand , go into the appropriete stance and practice your punches at full speed

Here's a nice little drill to try:

Get a pair of 2 pound dumbells, a pair of 5 pund dumbells, and a pair of 7 pound dumbells....

To start, punch with no weights in your hands, and do the following:

1 straight left, 1 straight right, 2 str lft, 2 str rt, 3 str lft, 3 str rt, up to 5 punches on each arm.

Then go back down again (e.g. 4 lft, 4 rt, 3lft, 3rt back to 0)

Then pick up the 2lb dumbells and repeat.

Then the 5. Then the 7.

Then back down to 5, then 2, and then without weights again.

By the end your upper body has a nice burn AND your hands are feeling quicker.

Give it a bash!

Cheers

Dave

One thing I noticed that works for my is get a five pound weight in your hand , go into the appropriete stance and practice your punches at full speed

Here's a nice little drill to try:

Get a pair of 2 pound dumbells, a pair of 5 pund dumbells, and a pair of 7 pound dumbells....

To start, punch with no weights in your hands, and do the following:

1 straight left, 1 straight right, 2 str lft, 2 str rt, 3 str lft, 3 str rt, up to 5 punches on each arm.

Then go back down again (e.g. 4 lft, 4 rt, 3lft, 3rt back to 0)

Then pick up the 2lb dumbells and repeat.

Then the 5. Then the 7.

Then back down to 5, then 2, and then without weights again.

By the end your upper body has a nice burn AND your hands are feeling quicker.

Give it a bash!

Cheers

Dave

Oooh, that looks nice! I may give it a try.

That might sound funny to you, but practice slowly. In slow motion, literally! And imagination as a big part as well. You have to see your openent, strike precisly in a strategic spot. Then comes the weights on each wrists, the elatsic trainig, and basic kihon!

Repeat, repeat and repeat over and over again.

Hope that helps.

one word: repititions

other than that, plyo push-ups, one arm dumbell benches (rotating your hand from palm-up to palm down position through the rep) and Plyo band work-outs (the thick elastic cords sold by AWMA and Century for kicking practice.