• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate not being the choice for self defence?

Kante

Its effectiveness really depends on the instructor. Some are more serious than others when it comes to sparring, contact, and practical application. Also, it's important to make sure your training includes some ground skills. You don't have to be obsessive about it, just be comfortable being on the ground and learn how to work back to your feet.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, it's important to make sure your training includes some ground skills. You don't have to be obsessive about it, just be comfortable being on the ground and learn how to work back to your feet.

I agree with your statement here. This is an area that I know I lack in seriously, and my instructor doesn't work with it much.

We work on the ground some with Combat Hapkido, but not to the extent that we probably should. Eventually, I want to work the Combat Hapkido into some randori style sparring situations.

Hello, Kante....I love Shotokan Karate...I always believe this is for me and for life. (My Sensi quit training and no other school was nearby).

Then a Kempo school started up..my son and I sign up as white belts...NO reqrets. Now Kempo is my style and my new love. It taught us another way to train and fight.

Today as an assistant Instructor in Kempo....I still share things from our Shotokan training.

Hopefully you too will get to try other martial arts? Do not limit yourself...you may also want to look into JUDO! Great stuff to learn.

Today no one art is perfect....but can improve your knowledge and training,doing other martial arts. ( In the process you will make many new friends.)

One art maybe enough....at the same time you will want to know what others are learning.

limit your knowledge will limit your skills....be UNLIMITED! ....Aloha

PS: Start you own library and video collection on all martial arts...READ and study as much as you can.

I'm guessing that you posted this because you yourself felt that it was not meeting your needs. Yes, Karate can be a GREAT SD martial art....and like any other MA it can be a poor one as well. It all boils down to the place you go to. If you sense that the place you go to does not teach Karate well, than why not follow your gut and check around for a new place?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

In kumite, you're allways in the low fighting stance, and to be honest, I dont know how that would work in a real fight.

In karate, the only punch you ever really use is the "geyagotsoki" (i know that's not how you spell it) but in Jeet Kune Do it's so much more than that, and the defence techniques in Karate are pretty much just blocks and are nothing compared in the ones in Jeet Kune Do.

Sounds to me like you have a limited karate club; perhaps one which concentrates on sports karate. I think a lot of karate is much more than your experience of it.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

In kumite, you're allways in the low fighting stance, and to be honest, I dont know how that would work in a real fight.

In karate, the only punch you ever really use is the "geyagotsoki" (i know that's not how you spell it) but in Jeet Kune Do it's so much more than that, and the defence techniques in Karate are pretty much just blocks and are nothing compared in the ones in Jeet Kune Do.

Sounds to me like you have a limited karate club; perhaps one which concentrates on sports karate. I think a lot of karate is much more than your experience of it.

I tend to agree with Angela ,maybe you should look beyond your own club and organisation and see what other reputable karate clubs are doing .

they all call themselves karate club and this and that ,some instructers pump up their dan grades to impress people .

One has to be vigilant and look beyond the big talks and fancy outfits and flash certificates .

karate definitely works in the street ,important thing is to find a good club and instructer to guide you through a very difficult and demanding journey.

never give up !

I do Shotokan also. Ours is mainly geared toward self-defense. My instructor is a cop and so are alot of people there at the dojo. We also have various military personel there also. it all depends on how the instructor gears the classes.

I do shotokan karate and personally, it has made me better and more able to defend myself. I haven't "tested" it or anything, but i know that if nothing else, I have a better chance of getting away safely than I did before.

As someone else said, maybe their focus is off. Try a different Shotokan school before you completely change styles. It could be the school or maybe the style just isn't for you.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

Hey Kante, I have been training my style of Wado-Ryu now for a good 10 years, im 17 now, and when i was younger I too felt some of the techniques are useless, it just takes practice practice and practice, about 4 years ago I started bag training, and all of my karate training seemed to be paying off, I was really good at it! :) I think once you get really used to your style it becomes more natural for you, and you become more comfortable and confident with it. In Kumite our club is quite easy on our stance, each of us are alowed to adopt our own personal stance, within reason ofcourse.

I have looked at alot of other styles, JKD is good, but not really my style, If i were to start a secound MA it owuld have to be TKD (as Im a fond kicker) or Muay Thai.

The grass is always greener on the other side..

.. plus sparring in a low stance is good for building muscle. In a real situation you wouldn't necessarily want to drop into a deep low Zenkutz, but you will have more power and speed in your legs, and in a street situation your opponent should tire easily before you.