• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's this guy thinking?

This video, which features Royler Gracie destroying some guy is worrysome in many ways.

1. If you are going to fight someone, pick up your hands before the guy rushes you and takes you down.

2. If your opponent takes you to the ground. Don't just roll over on your belly. EVER! Take your beating from where you can see it coming.

3. If all you've ever studied is Karate or TKD or Kempo and so on...Don't make your first attempt to prove your art against ANYONE with the last name GRACIE. I don't care how good you are, they will bleed through every poor in their body before allowing themselves to suffer defeat to virtually anyone who challenges them. They're mean like that.

Here's the video. Royler Gracie vs. Some Kempo guy. If you don't like watching violence, don't watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWEbPDz80w&mode=related&search=

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, this challenge match occurred before the advent of Pride and UFC which would be before the Gracies achieved such noteriety. The karate instructor simply did not know who he was fighting (understandably so).

Its easy to say what not to do in a fight, even easier when your viewing someones mistakes from outside. You know that turning your back is bad because you give the worst possible position (your back) in the fight. He was a Kempo instructor and wouldnt be expected to have known this.

Its also difficult to not give your back when your opponent starts hitting you in the face.

The kempo instructor thought he had developed a street lethal style and wanted to test it against jiu jtisu. Unfortunately, hes the kinda person who feel that he needs to insist more on his style, rather than learn what it was that he did wrong (i.e. not knowing groundfighting)

You're right about most of that. But what's up with the beginning where the instructor just stands there with his hands down and lets Royler take him down. That's just dumb. I mean, Royler would have got him down eventually anyway. But come on. At least look prepared for the fight.

If all you've ever studied is Karate or TKD or Kempo and so on...Don't make your first attempt to prove your art against ANYONE with the last name GRACIE.

:lol: Enough said :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I think that if I were the Kempo stylist, I would have began the fight by keeping my hands up. He did not defend the takedown well at all. And to be quite honest, I don't think that BJJ has very strong takedowns. Royler is a skilled grappler, but I didn't think his takedown was a very good one.

If their is a weakness in BJJ, I would say it is in the actual takedowns. Sure, they get their opponents down eventually, but I think that the styles of Wrestling and Judo are better about getting to the ground.

First off, this challenge match occurred before the advent of Pride and UFC which would be before the Gracies achieved such noteriety. The karate instructor simply did not know who he was fighting (understandably so).

I definitely disagree with this. The Gracie's have been fairly popular in the martial arts community for many many years. Their family, methodology, and their fighting records have been around for a very long time.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I definitely disagree with this. The Gracie's have been fairly popular in the martial arts community for many many years. Their family, methodology, and their fighting records have been around for a very long time.

Depends what circles you move in. I've still got no idea who's who in Ultimate Fighting or Vale Tudo because I don't watch/follow it.

I think that if I were the Kempo stylist, I would have began the fight by keeping my hands up. He did not defend the takedown well at all. And to be quite honest, I don't think that BJJ has very strong takedowns. Royler is a skilled grappler, but I didn't think his takedown was a very good one.

Roylers takedowns arent very good at all. As a matter of fact, in all of his grappling matches, he pulls guard. The difference is that its much easier to take someone down when they're trying to hit you. Its also much easier to take someone down when they dont have any formal wrestling training. Its easy to theorize how you're going to stop a takedown, but if you havent wrestled, chances heavily favor you're not going to be successfull.

If their is a weakness in BJJ, I would say it is in the actual takedowns. Sure, they get their opponents down eventually, but I think that the styles of Wrestling and Judo are better about getting to the ground.

Technically speaking, striking would be the weakness of BJJ but in terms of their grappling skills, takedowns are what stands to be the most desired improvement in BJJ, hence the reason for so many people crosstraining in wrestling or judo.

I usually agree with just about everything you say. But keep in mind that Brazilian Jiujitsu has every take down that Judo has. The link below is of Rickson, Roion and Royler at a Judo club in 1987. This was the school of Howard Nishioka who is a legend in the sport (Rickson, of course, beats him a couple times). My point is that it's a good school and they all hold their own. Howard is even heard saying that Rickson and Royler could represent their country or the US in international Judo competition easily.

While Royler's take first take down in the video was a little sloppy, the second one was text book. Watch how he hooks the leg and rolls through with it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1015797790370952500&q=royler+and+rickson&hl=en

I usually agree with just about everything you say. But keep in mind that Brazilian Jiujitsu has every take down that Judo has. The link below is of Rickson, Roion and Royler at a Judo club in 1987. This was the school of Howard Nishioka who is a legend in the sport (Rickson, of course, beats him a couple times). My point is that it's a good school and they all hold their own. Howard is even heard saying that Rickson and Royler could represent their country or the US in international Judo competition easily.

While Royler's take first take down in the video was a little sloppy, the second one was text book. Watch how he hooks the leg and rolls through with it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1015797790370952500&q=royler+and+rickson&hl=en

Thats an insult to anyone who's a judoka in Brazil. After Japan, I would say that Brazil probably has the best Judo fighters. Brazilians are very skilled at Judo, and Rickson and Royler, while having good throws, are far from being able to compete at the olympic level with their judo counterparts.