• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New York and Nunchucks

The BB of C

This is a law nobody I ever knew thought made sense. People are not allowed to sell or carry nunchucks in the state of New York because they are a concelled weapon.

But there are a few things I see wrong with this law that just make it so it doesn't make sense. Let's take in mind a couple things first. You can't sell pre-made nunchucks made of wood here. You could still get them off the internet or a magazine for probably $15-$20 plus whatever taxes may be included. You can however sell and buy a practice pair (plastic chains or rope bindings, wood covered in thick padding) for on $10-$12. Here's the kicker though, you're allowed to sell the chain gears for nunchucks (I got mine for $4). Now, all you need is a stick (I got mine for $3) and sew it all together you get a $20 pair of nunchucks for $7-$8!

So we're not allowed to sell wood nunchucks, but we can sell and buy the parts to make them? Does that make any sense at all? Seems like kind of a worthless law for me. Especially because in the martial arts store I go to, they sell sais, knives of all kinds, tonfas, bo-staffs, three-sectioned-staffs which are like nunchucks only worse and all sorts of swords! Things that are much more deadly than a nunchuck but the nunchuck is the illigal one. Among the throwing knives and the shurikens and the swords and everything else that could kill someone with one strike?

Is there anyone here that can explain how this "no selling nunchucks" law is supposed to work?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you can use the parts argument. You can buy parts to make many different bombs but those things are not illegal!

But still it seems silly to ban nun chucks when you can buy guns and other weapons

I think the 'chucks were deemed illegal because of their history of crime use, as previously mentioned. Then, when they weren't such a problem, they were forgotten about, but the law doesn't get taken off of the books. Therefore, they are still illegal.

Doesn't make a lick of sence to me..not at all..wait- you can buy swords in newyork? sweet ^.^ *ish a huge sword fan*

anyways...i agree that banning nunchucks sounds really ridiculous..but there is a michigan law that still says that's it's a hanging offence for cattle rustling and that a woman can not cut her hair with out her dad or husband's permission. and blah blah blah...it's still ridiculous.

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

• 3 weeks later...

here in canada, a nunchuck is defined as any 2 none bendable items connected by a length of rope, string, chain, etc.

They are illegal. To what extent (like you cant buy them, or you can't carry them around etc) i don't know. But those guiding things they use in banks to make a line? oh yah... those are nunchucks.... illegal weapons in a bank... thats just asking for a robbery...

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

here in canada, a nunchuck is defined as any 2 none bendable items connected by a length of rope, string, chain, etc.

They are illegal. To what extent (like you cant buy them, or you can't carry them around etc) i don't know. But those guiding things they use in banks to make a line? oh yah... those are nunchucks.... illegal weapons in a bank... thats just asking for a robbery...

So Nintendo's "Wii chucks" are illegal? They're a remote and game controller connected by a cord. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1