• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why the long pants?

Also, with the Thai rules, wearing shorts makes the knees visible, hopefully helping to make sure the contact to the legs is above the knees.

Has anyone ever heard of any Thai fights where a fighter 'missed,' and took out the opponent's knee?

Knees get hit by accident/on purpose all the time

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Also, with the Thai rules, wearing shorts makes the knees visible, hopefully helping to make sure the contact to the legs is above the knees.

Has anyone ever heard of any Thai fights where a fighter 'missed,' and took out the opponent's knee?

I'm sure, but have there been any major injuries that changed the course of a fight because of them?

I'm sure, but have there been any major injuries that changed the course of a fight because of them?

almost undoubtedly, but I don't get the luxury of closely following the thousands of fights in Thailand from canada:(

Kicking the knees is perfectly legal, and is done. Thigh tends to hurt more though, and land more often. Knee kicks are one of the most overrated things in the martial arts.

Anyways, back to the question.

I always figured it had to do with the history of it, being from karate. Which wears pants. Fighters took the jackets off for fights, keeping the pants on. Over time they got more flashy.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Kicking the knees is perfectly legal, and is done.

I know of no one who trains Muay Thai that is allowed to intentionally strike knees or groins. Where is this legal - in Thailand? That would shorten the careers of many fighters.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno where you've been doing Thai there buddy but kickin' the knees in competition is not legal.

Kicking the knees is perfectly legal, and is done. Thigh tends to hurt more though, and land more often. Knee kicks are one of the most overrated things in the martial arts.

Anyways, back to the question.

I always figured it had to do with the history of it, being from karate. Which wears pants. Fighters took the jackets off for fights, keeping the pants on. Over time they got more flashy.