• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I remember that video. I think that the side kick to the leg may have been for more of a stop-hit effect, and then close, as you mention, rather than a damaging attack. I could be wrong, though.

However, I wonder if the damage factor of an upper leg side kick would be enough to exchange it for the more reliable round kick. I think targeting with the round kick would be much easier.

In talking with Pedro he said he just wanted to make sure he was the one who initiated contact. Kinda like you said. He didn't want that giant getting a lucky shot in.

I think you're right about the round house kick too. Just the length of your weapon is so much bigger. You can hit with anything from the knee to the instep. The side kick takes a far more precise shot if you want it to cause damage of any significance. That's a good point.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points. You could also convert a shin block into a side or push kick, thus closing distance and changing from defense to offense with a pivot while chambering.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

That's a good point as well, Baron. I may have to try that out sometime in sparring. With TKD sparring, it is definitely easier to get off side kicks, especially with the front leg. When an opponent comes off with a back leg round kick, the lead leg side kick makes a great stop-kick.

There's nothing like foiling a back leg round kick, to watch the opponent end up looking up at you from the ground.

The side kick takes a far more precise shot if you want it to cause damage of any significance.

That is kind of what I was figuring. It probably isn't even worth considering, unless it becomes your only option, like if you are on one knee, and thrust out with the other leg at his knee from the ground, while he is standing.

On a side note, I think it is waaay cool that you got to talk to Sauer about that. Do you get to speak with him often?

I train in one of his affiliate schools in Ohio. We usually have 4, 2 day seminars with him per year. I always attend and make sure to get a private lesson with him as well. Additionally, because he usually comes in on a Friday evening and leaves Sunday evening, we take him out to dinner and for breakfast. I get to talk to him alot during those times. It is pretty awesome. He has some great stories about training with Rickson and the other Gracies.

They way that I've been taught to use the side kick can be used ina clinch

but it does too much damage to be used in sport fighting.

Try this:

Stand facing your oponent and get into a classic clinch.

Now execute your side kick. ( Lets say right side kick)

From the clinch drive your right knee into your opponents right inner thigh (the load) if done with enough force the stance apart. (as well as causing damage.)

Now execute the kick (Straight out to your right side) aimed at the inside of his left knee.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

That's a great way to use it Nin Tai! We had a very similar use for it in Chuan Fa! It wasn't from the clinch, but I think I like that idea even better! Thanks for sharing.

Try this:

Stand facing your oponent and get into a classic clinch.

Now execute your side kick. ( Lets say right side kick)

From the clinch drive your right knee into your opponents right inner thigh (the load) if done with enough force the stance apart. (as well as causing damage.)

Now execute the kick (Straight out to your right side) aimed at the inside of his left knee.

I think that this would work well in with my Combat Hapkido training. Thank you for sharing! :karate:

ps1, bushido_man

your welcome.

Please becareful with the final kicking part.

It becomes a relatively short movement.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

ps1, bushido_man

your welcome.

Please becareful with the final kicking part.

It becomes a relatively short movement.

I worked it a little after reading it. I like it. I'll definitely be adding it in somewhere. When I first start teaching it, I will probably just have people go very slow with it because the movement toward the knee is so short. I like how much room to drive through the attacker's knee it gives you. Good technique!

The simiar one we used in Chuan Fa came from the crane series of fighting techniques (Instead of one-steps/ three-steps we had animal techniques). It was a kick defense. Someone throws a front kick and you move inside and catch from underneath. We then used a knee strike to the underside of the attacker's kicking knee (load) and went straight to the side kick to the support knee from there. I like yours better because it's closer and I think the clinch will give much better balance.