• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slipping/Bobbing and Weaving

Good discussion. Another technique I want to try is having my wife videotape me while I spar. That way, I can see my own mistakes from an outside perspective. Mirrors are good, but if you are watching yourself then you aren't watching anything else (like a partner).

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have at least two others with you, and have them just throw punches. Don't bother punching yourself, you can if you want, but the focus is on avoidance.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I might not have gotten the style of bag correct. I believe there is a kind that is suspended on an elastic cord from the top and bottom. You mount it at head level. When you punch it, it moves away several feet and comes right back at your face. While you may not be able to fully duck under it due to the bottom cord, it is good for slipping and shifting feet. Basically, it's like a shadowboxing target that comes at you with more spatial displacement than a speed bag.

I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw. Maybe a more experienced boxer can correct me.

yeah thats a suspended speedball. its more timing and moving.

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• 4 weeks later...

On Monday (3-19-07), I worked with a partner on slipping jabs and crosses to the head. It was a good experience. I don't flinch or blink a lot in sparring, but with this practice, I caught myself doing it again. I enjoyed it, and will practice it more.

They also make bags that move back and forth after you punch them, with stretch cords on the top and bottom. You can move away from them as they rebound. That's kind of old school, though. They are something like this: http://www.boxingdepot.com/striking-bags.html

I have seen those before, and I would love to give them a whirl. I used to do speed bag work, and I loved it. Not much head movement involved there, though. Great for hand speed, however.

Actually hand speed bags can be more useful for defense than you might think. Read this thread from Sherdog (includes a video clip):

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=528146&highlight=speed+bag

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

partner throws a jab, you parry it to the inside, he then throws a cross that you duck and weave to your left as you throw a right, left to body then left hook to head.

you and partner plant front foot next to eachother and can not move the fron feet. one person throws and you evade.

these two are some of our warm up.

Enter-pressure-terminate

partner throws a jab, you parry it to the inside, he then throws a cross that you duck and weave to your left as you throw a right, left to body then left hook to head.

you and partner plant front foot next to eachother and can not move the fron feet. one person throws and you evade.

these two are some of our warm up.

Very nice, thank you!

Are these done with both fighters right leg forward? When you parry the jab inside, you parry with the same side that the punch comes in on, right?