• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slipping/Bobbing and Weaving

I might not have gotten the style of bag correct. I believe there is a kind that is suspended on an elastic cord from the top and bottom. You mount it at head level. When you punch it, it moves away several feet and comes right back at your face. While you may not be able to fully duck under it due to the bottom cord, it is good for slipping and shifting feet. Basically, it's like a shadowboxing target that comes at you with more spatial displacement than a speed bag.

I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw. Maybe a more experienced boxer can correct me.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, another thing that is helping me in kickboxing is holding pads and mitts for others. Having to anticipate and react to a person on offense teaches me the other side. I find it equally useful.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I might not have gotten the style of bag correct. I believe there is a kind that is suspended on an elastic cord from the top and bottom. You mount it at head level. When you punch it, it moves away several feet and comes right back at your face. While you may not be able to fully duck under it due to the bottom cord, it is good for slipping and shifting feet. Basically, it's like a shadowboxing target that comes at you with more spatial displacement than a speed bag.

I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I saw. Maybe a more experienced boxer can correct me.

I think you are refering to a top and bottom bag, or double ended bag. They have a few names, and has you said, are good for working slipping etc. While i wouldnt rely on this alone, its great when you are getting started or training without a partner. Good for your all round reflexes to.

I think you are refering to a top and bottom bag, or double ended bag. They have a few names, and has you said, are good for working slipping etc. While i wouldnt rely on this alone, its great when you are getting started or training without a partner. Good for your all round reflexes to.

That sounds about right. I have also heard them called "crazy balls" and "headache balls." I have heard they are a great workout.

That sounds about right. I have also heard them called "crazy balls" and "headache balls." I have heard they are a great workout.

They go well in a circuit with heavy bag, skipping, and whatever else you want to throw in.

They go well in a circuit with heavy bag, skipping, and whatever else you want to throw in.

Ah, thanks for the ideas!

Does anyone have any information on this title: Boxing: A 12 Week Course? Also, view here: http://www.turtlepress.com/Boxing_p/box.htm

Thanks!

Does anyone have any information on this title: Boxing: A 12 Week Course? Also, view here: http://www.turtlepress.com/Boxing_p/box.htm

Havnt seen that specifically. But like any instructional tape, no matter how good or clear the information is, it wont compare to learning in person from someone who knows what they are doing and can show you what your doing wrong.

Havnt seen that specifically. But like any instructional tape, no matter how good or clear the information is, it wont compare to learning in person from someone who knows what they are doing and can show you what your doing wrong.

Thanks, cross. I wasn't referring to a tape, though. Its a book. I usually prefer reading books on MAs to watching the videos. Much easier to reference.

Thanks, cross. I wasn't referring to a tape, though. Its a book. I usually prefer reading books on MAs to watching the videos. Much easier to reference.

Ah, my mistake. Same things applies though, books for reference are great, but only so much of the physical technique can be learned with someone to guide.

Ah, my mistake. Same things applies though, books for reference are great, but only so much of the physical technique can be learned with someone to guide.

I agree. :)

But, when nothing else is available....