• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slipping/Bobbing and Weaving

I would like to add that when you duck and weave the right gross, you do a step drag with your left leg towards 10 oclock as you do that move you are hitting with an overhand right to the face. twist the hips into your left hand body shot , then with the left hook I pivit my right leg around so that i end up faceing the side of the person.

I have praticed just the evading part of this from a fully commited hay maker and the opponent tends to land on top, so I added the step drag and pivot for if anything else I get out of the way and can attack from the side and back.

Enter-pressure-terminate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We place the left foot in front and the parry is done with the rear ( right ) hand. Also it may help to move the head back slightly and to the right along with the parry.

That helps, thanks. I can reverse it from there, if I need to.

The above post helps out too. I appreciate it!

• 3 months later...

1. whenever you hit the bag and shadowbox, make sure you include bobbing and weaving

2. get a maize ball

3. drill with a partner

4. practice bobbing and weaving along a length of rope

Yes, please practice bobbing and weaving and try them on someone that's good at muay thai, you will eat knees and kicks that were meant for the body right to the chin. One of my old training partners that was defending his north american muay thai title for the 4th time, tried to bob and weave, ate a body kick right to the chin and got ko'd. He's not the first I've seen this happen to, neither.

I have seen it happen, that's why you don't see many good pro thaiboxers and fighters that fight thaiboxers try to bob and weave. It's great for boxing, though!

For anything that involves combinations with kicks and knees, slipping works much better then bobbing and weaving. Bobbing and weaving really is meant when you're fighting someone that's primarily a puncher.

I'm glad I realized this at an early stage or I would have gotten KO'd when I used to compete in muay thai.

In some reading that I have done on Muay Thai, I had come across the fact that they don't bob and weave much. They parry and move side to side more and slip. I guess that would be the way to go.

In some reading that I have done on Muay Thai, I had come across the fact that they don't bob and weave much. They parry and move side to side more and slip. I guess that would be the way to go.

depends. There are differing schools of thought. westernized schools have adopted boxing methods. this includes footwork, evasion and punching, which are all different from a less westernized school to some extent. the less westernized guys are usually more linear - less evasion - with more straightforward footwork.

Yes, please practice bobbing and weaving and try them on someone that's good at muay thai, you will eat knees and kicks that were meant for the body right to the chin. One of my old training partners that was defending his north american muay thai title for the 4th time, tried to bob and weave, ate a body kick right to the chin and got ko'd. He's not the first I've seen this happen to, neither.

I have seen it happen, that's why you don't see many good pro thaiboxers and fighters that fight thaiboxers try to bob and weave. It's great for boxing, though!

For anything that involves combinations with kicks and knees, slipping works much better then bobbing and weaving. Bobbing and weaving really is meant when you're fighting someone that's primarily a puncher.

I'm glad I realized this at an early stage or I would have gotten KO'd when I used to compete in muay thai.

a proper bob actually stops just under the strike - the punch should be able to easily graze your head. Done properly, if you are kneed in the face, dude is either VERY flexible or as you bob, you are pulled down into a clinch and kneed. Other than that, chances are you ducked way too low, in which case you are supposed to get kneed in the face.

I know what bobbing and weaving does, I've trained in boxing, too. I know what it's supposed to do, I also know what a 360 spinning airial kick is supposed to do but you won't see hardly anybody in Muay Thai do a "butterfly kick" or whatever you want to call it(even though my first coach and I have). The thing is, it's risky, it's boxing and meant for boxing. Show me examples of someone using bobbing and weaving in high level muay thai, please. "Westernized" Muay Thai? do you mean more like Eurasian style kickboxing? Any Muay Thai modified in the USA isn't really known to be good, the USA is the worst country for Muay Thai fighters, no joke. "Dutch Style", "eurasian" seen a lot in France..However, the USA does have world level MMA fighters.

For Muay Thai, we have Duane Ludwig...and? yeah, a few guys that might make it to the k-1 grand prix. We don't send fighters to Lumpinee, Rajadamner, m-150, kratingdeng, toyota marathon, etc. Perhaps I'm wrong and you're right, we should send someone that bobs and weaves to duke it out in Thailand!

BTW, I don't count the ISKA as a high level of muay thai nor kickboxing, even though they televise the fights. I'm talking more around the level of the WMC and a few others including K-1(even though it's mod).

I know what bobbing and weaving does, I've trained in boxing, too. I know what it's supposed to do, I also know what a 360 spinning airial kick is supposed to do but you won't see hardly anybody in Muay Thai do a "butterfly kick" or whatever you want to call it(even though my first coach and I have). The thing is, it's risky, it's boxing and meant for boxing. Show me examples of someone using bobbing and weaving in high level muay thai, please. "Westernized" Muay Thai? do you mean more like Eurasian style kickboxing? Any Muay Thai modified in the USA isn't really known to be good, the USA is the worst country for Muay Thai fighters, no joke. "Dutch Style", "eurasian" seen a lot in France..However, the USA does have world level MMA fighters.

For Muay Thai, we have Duane Ludwig...and? yeah, a few guys that might make it to the k-1 grand prix. We don't send fighters to Lumpinee, Rajadamner, m-150, kratingdeng, toyota marathon, etc. Perhaps I'm wrong and you're right, we should send someone that bobs and weaves to duke it out in Thailand!

BTW, I don't count the ISKA as a high level of muay thai nor kickboxing, even though they televise the fights. I'm talking more around the level of the WMC and a few others including K-1(even though it's mod).

I've seen dekkers bob and weave I'm sure. I'll look for a fight when I have time. our sister school is a dutch school - a gym called mikenta - they put on a show in europe called viking fight. Anyway, I didn't say it wasn't risky, but it's not a guaranteed knee to the head either, if done properly.