• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why risk injury in training for such a thing when you would never use it in a real fight? A flying kick is telegraphed from a mile away, and very easy to dodge.

It is just one of those things that it feels good to accomplish, being able say that you did it. There are lots of things that we do in life everyday that don't have anything to do with being used in a real fight, or for what we do for a living. However, we still do these things, just becaue we enjoy them.

Overall, I am not too worried about injury at TKD; I could get injured at work everyday. I just don't choose to worry about it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice reposte!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Bushido_man96,

Keep striving for that perfect side kick. I sometimes think about what I might do if, god forbid, someone (a bad guy) had a gun pointed at someone else and their back was to you. Let's say you saw them from a distance. Now there are a lot of things you could do. I would not count out the flying side kick in that situation. I mean you could try to sneak up behind them and yoke them around the neck and take them down that way. But it might take too much time to sneak up. If you ran at them and plowed them with a flying side kick from the back there is a good chance you would have to scrape them up off the ground with a shovel. Besides the flying side kick is so much fun to do.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

• 2 months later...

muay thai has a side kick - and pretty much any other kick you see in other styles - spinning back kicks, heel kicks, etc. However, the most commonly seen kicks are the teep, roundhouse and spinning back kick. For this reason, many gyms don't bother to teach the other kicks.

the thing with the side kick is that it is slower than the teep, but serves the same purpose. Why not use the faster kick? that said though, I think the side kick is great. It gives fits to guys that aren't used to seeing it.