• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I highly recommend the elbows like bushido man96 says. They soon get the message that the line of attack is blocked via that route.

Of course though they may return the favor :)

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend the elbows like bushido man96 says. They soon get the message that the line of attack is blocked via that route.

Of course though they may return the favor :)

Of course. In sparring, it is always give and take! :D

Edited by bushido_man96

Last week I was lightly sparring a guy at my JKD school, on my first night. It was a kicks-only drill. He's a big stocky 20 year old and we were having fun. All of a sudden he gets me in the clinch, which I am happy to do. We both clinch and start kneeing and yanking each other around somewhat playfully as the instructor is reminding us it's kicks only. It's hard to stop!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 1 month later...
After all this, I forgot to ask a question: what are your defenses against side kicks, other than moving out of the way?

Move in with a slip to the outside and high block on a diagonal away from you. Takes 'em right off their feet. The key is to make contact with their leg (with your block) and then slide your forearm right up their quad as you high block, continuing to move towards them and finishing with a nice shove to send them tumbling. (You really have to catch their telegraph though)

Another good defense I use is to move into the kick before they can get the extension and acceleration of the kick fully moving. If you have proper balance, they'll push themselves over (past their center line) as they try to execute the kick. Think of it as more of a dampening effect relative to position than an actual block. Also have to be quick to catch the telegraph, but it's very effective if you train it well. Coordinate some punching in their at the same time and you've got some nice options for counters.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I'll try this, thanks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The side kick (yoko geri) is probably one of the most powerful kicks in karate. I have used it and seen it used in MT but not very often for reasons already mentioned. If you use the lead leg and step in with it you can throw your entire body behind it and generate a lot of power. Using the lead leg is faster naturally because it is closer to your opponent. I have witnessed more than a couple of broken ribs from this kick. You should strike with the side of the foot near the heel. I have been trying to do the perfect side kick for over 35 yrs. I keep trying. One way you can defend against the side kick is by 'jamming'. Once you get inside the opponents range where he can't extend the kick you can just knock him down by smashing right into him. If that doesn't work then punch him on the way in and you may knock him down that way. You should practice jamming by timing your opponent as he tries to side- kick you. Be careful because if he is quicker than you think he can catch you coming in and then it doubles the impact. I mean ouch!

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

To develop power in the side kick (yoko geri) I like the heavy-bag best. I like to swing the heavy-bag away from me and as it swings back I try to catch it when it is vertical. Timing is important here. You have to be careful because as you start to kick harder and harder you have to maintain focus because you can hyper-extend your knee if you miss. We also use shields and chest protectors to develop more speed and focus when hitting a moving target. The traditional way of side kicking from the front stance (zenkutsu dachi) is still one of the best ways to develop the correct alignment of leg, foot and body. It is important to turn your toes down a little bit to bring your hip into the kick more. We do the kick slowly and hold the leg up for about 10 seconds before putting it down. Sometimes we hold the leg up longer to develop the muscles that we use to do the kick isometric ally. It also helps balance. I like to use the lead leg because it is closer to your opponent. We use the slide-step whereby you move the lead leg first and slide the rear leg up behind it when you kick. We do this up and down the dojo many, many times.

When you use the rear leg you have to remember to really pivot off the lead leg to get the power. The spinning side-kick is almost the same as the spinning back kick (ushiro geri) but it is a little bit easier to see because the back kick comes straight under where the side kick comes around a little bit more. But the spinning side kick is still a nice kick.

The flying side kick (yoko-tobi-geri) is so much fun to do. I love to run across the dojo and jump as high as I can. It feels so good to smash into the heavy bag with that one. Occasionally we do the side snap kick (yoko geri keage) but mostly we do the thrust kick (kekomi). The thrust kick is just so much more powerful. The snap kick kind of comes up in an arc. In self-defense if you kick to the knees it is almost impossible to defend against. We once had a discussion on why they never do that in MMA even though there is no definitive prohibition against it. I do love the side kick as you can plainly see.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Thanks, Tom. Those are all very similar drills! I have been working on a flying side kick that I have to do for a board break...it is coming along slowly.

Why risk injury in training for such a thing when you would never use it in a real fight? A flying kick is telegraphed from a mile away, and very easy to dodge.