• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The pivot method suggested by baronbvp sounds like it'd work. Your opponent might see you pivot and assume round kick. On the other hand, since you're probably going to throw it near his hands, you'd have to be pretty quick to stop it getting caught.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree. It might be something you consider if you ended up in the stance during the match. Perhaps you could try one after missing on a round kick, after chambering the leg. But you're setting yourself up for an attack against your support leg.

If a side kick is a kick you like, try it in a match and see what happens. :D

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, it's not very common.

However, modify it to what works against an opponent. I've chamered a round kick, kept my leg from extending and unloaded a side kick right in the gut with good results. It's a pretty good fake and has a lot more power than a normal side kick.

As mentioned, it's not very common.

However, modify it to what works against an opponent. I've chamered a round kick, kept my leg from extending and unloaded a side kick right in the gut with good results. It's a pretty good fake and has a lot more power than a normal side kick.

I would think that this variation would not be quite as powerful, because your chamber wouldn't be as tight, limiting the use of the muscles some, and making the technique a little shorter.

I could be misinterpreting you as well. :)

We don't chamber round kicks in Muay Thai. Just bang 'em fast and hard into your target with a chopping shin. Ouch.

After all this, I forgot to ask a question: what are your defenses against side kicks, other than moving out of the way?

Down blocks are pseudo-effective but usually just push the kick's impact point farther down your body. If I see the chamber, I'll push my foot on the opponent's knee to prevent the kick. I also try to move away or move in to reduce the kick's power.

But, I'm tired of being kicked when I can't evade. Does anyone have any good defenses against a side kick you see coming but can't evade?

We don't chamber round kicks in Muay Thai. Just bang 'em fast and hard into your target with a chopping shin. Ouch.

I like this way of doing the kick. Nothing but dead weight flying into the leg.

After all this, I forgot to ask a question: what are your defenses against side kicks, other than moving out of the way?

Down blocks are pseudo-effective but usually just push the kick's impact point farther down your body. If I see the chamber, I'll push my foot on the opponent's knee to prevent the kick. I also try to move away or move in to reduce the kick's power.

But, I'm tired of being kicked when I can't evade. Does anyone have any good defenses against a side kick you see coming but can't evade?

If you can't evade the kick at all, I suggest covering your body with your arms, and sticking your elbow right down on the ankle as the leg comes in on you. You may get hit, but they won't like it much. (I have been guilty of this in my TKD classes; I am known for blocking :D ).

If you can't evade at the time, try the down block and a quick shifting backwards. As you down block, sweep the block across, and strike the leg from the side, instead of downward. This should help a bit.

If you can't evade the kick at all, I suggest covering your body with your arms, and sticking your elbow right down on the ankle as the leg comes in on you. You may get hit, but they won't like it much. (I have been guilty of this in my TKD classes; I am known for blocking ).

Ooh, I like this! I have very pointy elbows. I have sometimes grabbed the leg and punched the calf, but your way is better and more effective.

If you can't evade at the time, try the down block and a quick shifting backwards. As you down block, sweep the block across, and strike the leg from the side, instead of downward. This should help a bit.

I do this somewhat, but not to the side as forcefully as you mention. I haven't been very effective at preventing the contact. I will try this. Thanks for the tips, Bushido Man.

If you can't evade the kick at all, I suggest covering your body with your arms, and sticking your elbow right down on the ankle as the leg comes in on you. You may get hit, but they won't like it much. (I have been guilty of this in my TKD classes; I am known for blocking ).

Ooh, I like this! I have very pointy elbows. I have sometimes grabbed the leg and punched the calf, but your way is better and more effective.

I do this somewhat, but not to the side as forcefully as you mention. I haven't been very effective at preventing the contact. I will try this. Thanks for the tips, Bushido Man.

You are more than welcome, Baron! :D Let me know how they work out for you.