• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, yes, but I don't think they are used much. Round kicks and front kicks are much more common. If the side kick is a good kick for you, then use it. Just be careful you don't open your support leg to a kick from your opponent. Your groin can also be exposed.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Hello, Also side kicks can be done as a snap kick or thrust(push kick).

No one kick is the answer for end all fighing. NEVER limit your arensal of weapons.

Plus everyone is built differently...what works for one may not be as effective for the other person.

and there is an opening for a side kick....USE IT!

PS: Now which side is better? ...Right? left?...up? down? front? or back?

Best to use the RIGHT way, or be LEFT out,raise the knee UP,kick DOWN,tarkets can be in the FRONT? or BACK?

...........Aloha from this SIDE of the world!

Side kicks are also often used when you're standing in a sideways stance (often seen in karate or TKD tournaments and such). Such a stance is not good for muay thai when leg kicks are allowed (since standing sideways wont allow you to check incoming leg kicks). Thats probably why you're not seeing any side kicks coming from many thai fighters.

Such a stance is not good for muay thai when leg kicks are allowed (since standing sideways wont allow you to check incoming leg kicks). Thats probably why you're not seeing any side kicks coming from many thai fighters.

Yep. Round kicks and teep kicks are so much more effective. And the shin bone hurts your opponent a lot more than a foot does.

Yes, or you can quickly pivot on your foot and throw it. In that case, it is best thown as you move toward your target.

Like I said, if it is a good kick for you, do it. My MT instructor loves it because it's his best kick; he is also a 5th Dan in Tang Soo Do, so go figure. My best kick is the teep. Roundhouse is more effective than a side kick because it is so powerful. But you have to do what works for you.

I rarely see a Muay Thai fighter use a side kick, though in Muay Thai rules I'm sure it's allowed. I would highly suggest using them as well. Side kicks are naturally very powerful. I'm not even that fast or balanced and I have sent people to the ground and/or back quite a few feet with even a half-asked side kick.

ok say you in a thai boxing stance and you want to land the side kick, can't you just quickly get in to a side stance perform the kick and get back into you thai stance?

Of course you can, but you have to remember that your opponent has his own agenda as well (and should be close to your skill level). To switch stances and follow up with a kick is going to take awhile (awhile= 2 or 3 seconds). Thats enough telegraphing that your opponent could see and counter with something quicker (say a teep). Assuming you were able to pull off such a move quickly, because of how greatly you'd be telegraphing (by switching your stances) you probably couldnt use it that often (i.e. it would be in your bag of tricks late in a match)