• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knocked down to White...

im a black belt in Goshin Do Karate. In that Dojo i help train our advanced belts. the problem is i just joined Kempo and im a White Belt in that dojo. being a white belt isnt the problem, its being both a white and black belt. Tuesdays and Thursdays im a blackbelt and wednesdays, fridays and saterdays im a white belt X_X

Im acting like an advanced belt in my Kempo class. Im finding it hard to fall into the roll of a white belt. The Kempo Instructors Treat me with the respect they give to a blackbelt and i take there direction well, but when a low ranking belt (green to Purple) tries to direct me i can see flaws in there technique and cant take them seriously, often ending with me correcting them. would you consider this disrespect in your Dojo? If so what should i do?

When practicing Nunchaku, it is best not to stand under lights....seriously; I have broken more lights that way. :-P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's a tough spot to be in. I have done something similar. I am also a BB in Goshin Jutsu but I have dabbled in other arts and occasionally attend a Karate class (different style) at the gym where I work. Whenever I started going to any of these, I always pointed out to the instructor what my rank was in the other style and asked what the policy was on their recognizing my rank (i.e. should I wear my black belt or white belt). Each place is different in their response. I believe your situation is similar. Since you don't know what the policy is, just ask the head instructor. Remind him/her of your previous experience, then tell him/her that you sometimes notice mistakes in the advice given to you by those who outrank you (here) and you want to know if you should offer correction when possible, or submit to those who have practiced this particular style longer. Then let the teacher decide. See, you're off the hook that fast. If you can't have this conversation with the teacher for a while and have to wing it with the other students till then, I suggest just putting your heads together (you and the other student) to figure it out. Subtly remind him of your experience (which certainly transfers at least in part to any style) without sounding arrogant, suggest a different movement, and ask if your partner agrees. Maybe something like "This is how we do it where I teach, what do you think?" That way you are giving respect to his higher rank at this school while asking for respect of your dan rank elsewhere. Mutual respect is key here. Don't come on too strong or people may be offended. Eventually they will come around and realize you know what you are doing regardless of what color is around your waist.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

Been there, done that.

My suggestion to you is that when the colored belts of the Kempo class help you with material, just look at the movement order (i.e., forms order, etc.) and not at the move itself. Unless there are some serious technical differences, you will probably have a handle on the technique.

As far as correcting the techniques of the colored belts in Kempo, I would only do this if the instructor is ok with it. Otherwise, I think you are in a good postition to learn a lot of new things.

The styles are not the same. You should be respectful to the other students and the style you are learning. You do not have a black belt in kempo, you have a white belt.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

The styles are not the same. You should be respectful to the other students and the style you are learning. You do not have a black belt in kempo, you have a white belt.

I agree here.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hello, Great suggestion from above. When in Rome do what the Rome's do, as the saying goes.

When training in two different styles or more....Each school has there own ways of doing things...(you will have to learn to do it there way).

You have to respect and do it there way...as far as the up rank (ranks telling you)...show respect...just be agreeable (nice). Then let it go before it becomes a problem for you. Those green belts (ego too)...are just trying to be helpful.

If you do not like the way they train...LEAVE.

As far as for rank in another style it stays in that style. YOU are not a black belt in this other style...be respectful and earn your way up!

PS: Earn a black belt in Universal Kempo-Karate

Earn a black belt in Shotokan karate

Learning Judo (White belt here)..they also know I am a assistance in Instructor in Kempo.

A black belt just tells what level of learning you have earn in that particular style.

Always be honest with any New Systems/School you sign up for and what your background is.

Yes you are a Black belt in one style...but it does not apply else where...just my thoughts on this......Aloha

when a low ranking belt (green to Purple) tries to direct me i can see flaws in there technique and cant take them seriously, often ending with me correcting them. would you consider this disrespect in your Dojo? If so what should i do?

This seems to be the nub of the issue. I think you've just got to take it on the chin. Smile and thank them for their advice. If you're sure its you that actually understood the teacher's instruction and the green belt missed it, just carry on according to your understanding.

It may take months for some students to appreciate that actually you're a) pretty handy and b) not on a 'my style is better than you're style' trip. Some of them may, for a while, find it difficult to rein in their ego and continue to insist on 'correcting' what you're doing. Such is the joy of training in a new style. It will fade in time as they get used to you and they go up through the grades. If they're jealous of your presumably rapid progression then that's their problem, not yours, even if they try to make it your problem.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence

Its not disrespect because youre just correcting somebody if the people get an attitude afterward then they are disrespectful. But dont stop listening just because youre a black belt in 1 school.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• 2 months later...

One of the things that our school emphasizes is the ability to know that you never stop learning and to continuously have respect for those lower-ranked than you. In fact one of the sayings that goes on in our school is, "A black belt is only a White belt that never gave up." I would say that you should try your hardest to try and be a white belt but it seems that it doesn't help that the instructors are also treating you more like a black belt :(.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

but when a low ranking belt (green to Purple) tries to direct me i can see flaws in there technique and cant take them seriously, often ending with me correcting them. would you consider this disrespect in your Dojo? If so what should i do?

I'd actually talk to your sensei about your problems. He might have some insight for you. Remember, a low ranking belt is learning as well so there's bound to be mistakes. As long as you don't publicly correct them and maybe respectfully phrase it as a question("isn't it supposed to be this way?") I don't think it's a big deal. I certainly don't mind if it's done that way when I'm working a beginner class and make a mistake.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1