• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The trick with a palm to the face is pretending your palm weights about 2,000 lbs, in deadweight, and with a relaxed hand, slam it against their jaw. Like a slap, but really heavy and it sticks.

I do not, however, advocate palms to the abdomen. Fists are much better. For the ribs, both have their perks. Of course, when striking the ribs or chest with a palm you want to make sure to keep your wrist un-locked and strike HARD, with a hard, tense hand. The floating ribs are great targets for those.

Of course, in a fight one can never expect to just 'do' something based on this information, but it'll help you train to understand that when the fist is 'unavailable', many other things work just as well, if not in some cases better.

Fingertips have very seldom been used effectively anywhere outside the eyes and throat, because point 'sniping' on the body, regardless of your knowledge of pressure points, isn't going to get you anywhere. You're going to miss, and get socked in a REALLY big, nasty pressure point: your face/jaw.

I do however see use in fingertips in grappling. I love driving my thumb into someone's floating ribs and grinding to open up a guard or get their attention for a second. Grinding the thumb, under tremendous weight, into the shoulder or inside of the thigh is pretty nasty too. Lots of posibilities, just test things out and remember your failures and successes.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The finger thrust is a strike using a smaller area of impact so it therefore has more penetrating power(The same reason a knife will go through a kevlar jacket like nothing). However, it is much more fragile so it's really only effective in certain areas. Unless you want to spend years strengthening your fingers and then suffer the effects of that training later, I'd recommend using fist or palm far more often than a spear thrust.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 months later...

some styles believe that the hand is more versatile than fists: example- parring, grabbing, hitting, gouging can be done with open hands- also, it is easier to control your opponent, rather than pound away at him.

Styles like Baguazhang deliver open handed strikes to damage internally instead of externally.

Other styles say that fingers are better because of the attack is much smaller, thus concentrating the damage of the hit on one much smaller spot. Also, they insist that it gives superior reach over a fist.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 8 months later...
Hey, a quick question for those of the Kung Fu persuasion:

I've notice that alot of styles do strikes with a 'knife hand' rather than a fist. Doesn't that put you at risk for jamming your fingers? How does it work exactly? Thanks!

...Knowledge is power :karate:

Yes it does , only if you have not learnt to strenghthen your fingers , after that u will have to problem with hiting wif fingers

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Yes it does , only if you have not learnt to strenghthen your fingers , after that u will have to problem with hiting wif fingers

Any specific ways to develop strength in the fingers? I have to admit im a little skeptical about striking with the finger tips, unless its a flick to the eyes.

Any specific ways to develop strength in the fingers? I have to admit im a little skeptical about striking with the finger tips, unless its a flick to the eyes.

Various ways- all of them take hard work to develop:

push-ups with the fingertips

sand or sandbag training(like you would train punches)

Iron palm training

among others...

Kajukenbopr is correct. It is a very gradual process, usually beginning with something like striking your fingers into sand in buckets, and working your way up to different, more challenging materials. The finger push-ups come along, too, and you build from their.

Some people just like to make it their "thing," and put the time into it.

There are a few ways to make your fingers stronger. one way is to do fingure pushups , and the best way i found is the bucket technique , which you take a bucket and fill it with ice and frozen peas , then strike it with your fingers over and over agian untill your figers are sore.Continue this for a while and you will see a hugh difference.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

There are a few ways to make your fingers stronger. one way is to do fingure pushups , and the best way i found is the bucket technique , which you take a bucket and fill it with ice and frozen peas , then strike it with your fingers over and over agian untill your figers are sore.Continue this for a while and you will see a hugh difference.

Ice and Frozen peas?? OUCH :o