• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

AllI have to says is OUCH!

TheUSPS

Vielen Dank, mein Freund! (See? Those German lessons are paying off.) :)

Ummm, .................thanks? :lol:

One of the problems that I have with TKD is that in many schools punching to the head is not allowed. I have trained at some schools where head contact was allowed, but it was light, and most of the time backfists to the side of the head were utilized.

This is ok, for competition purposes, but I think that instructors need to include drills that focus not only on hand to head contact, but also on defending against it. Those traditional blocks really don't work quite like you think they would.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muay Thai is teaching me how I what I thought was my defense against head shots wasn't enough. Bobbing, slipping, weaving, and ducking are so much easier than using energy and resources (your hands) to block. Not easier to execute - it takes practice, and I'm certainly no expert - but worth time learning.

Bottom line: in real fights, someone will be punching at your head.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Muay Thai is teaching me how I what I thought was my defense against head shots wasn't enough. Bobbing, slipping, weaving, and ducking are so much easier than using energy and resources (your hands) to block. Not easier to execute - it takes practice, and I'm certainly no expert - but worth time learning.

Bottom line: in real fights, someone will be punching at your head.

Bobbing is the best! If you work on it you can get it so that someone untrained will have a really hard time hitting you!

....(congrats on the digital brown belt there BTW)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Bobbing is the best! If you work on it you can get it so that someone untrained will have a really hard time hitting you!

Thanks. Might be the only one I get. :)

I will definitely be working on all those defensive moves.

Thanks. Might be the only one I get. :)

I will definitely be working on all those defensive moves.

I was always awestruck by a boxer's ability to slip a punch before it got there. I don't know if I could ever get to that point. I know I couldn't without the proper training, anyways.

I prefer dodging to blocking personally as it takes up less energy (however, sometimes blocks can be used as a first step in a nice counter-attack sequence)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I'm liking the slip right now. It's kind of like an effective head fake with a glove to shield your face.

You could take a whole class just on defense. It would be awesome.