• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm about to begin kickboxing next week with my brother. This is part of the two new disciplines we're doing together (Can-ryu Jiu Jitsu for me and he chose kickboxing). I'm 27 by the way and he's 26. However, I fear kickboxing a bit. As most of us here on this forum I work the next day so I wouldn't want to get injured too seriously while doing it. Second I kind of fear the intence training that goes with it (although I do play hockey quite a bit). So my question is what normally happens in a 2 hour class and what you guys think of the kickboxing training in general. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm 45 and I just started Muay Thai last month. I love it! The pace is high but that's what I wanted in an MA. It's a great workout but nothing you can't handle. Next month I will add BJJ. I got tired of doing kata and not sparring enough in shorin ryu karate. Kickboxing suits me better.

Full contact means full contact eventually, but you won't do that for awhile. In a class, first you'll warm up. Then you'll work on punches, kicks, footwork, and defense. Elbows and knees come later, along with the clinch. You will work form in the mirror, then against pads, then against the heavy bag, and maybe eventually light to medium contact with a partner. If you don't like it once the sparring contact gets heavy, you can drop it, but I suspect by then you'll be looking forward to it.

Just make sure you get a good mouthpiece like the ones from Brain Pad and boil it to fit. Get a groin protector and wear it EVERY class. You never know when someone will miss and get too close to the goodies.

Good luck! You're going to have fun.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I agree with baron. I think that you would benefit greatly from the training aspects of kickboxing. Also, depending on the rule sets, they may not incorporate elbows and knees. If it is more of a 'western style' of kickboxing, it may primarily be punching and kicking.

I don't think the training will hurt you as much as the compeitions would, but that is a guess.

I was in about the same boat as you a couple of months ago.I have played hockey since I was 6(30 now) and I have just recently taken up kickboxing.The workout is awesome and our instructors seem to keep it interesting.I'm not sure if it was from all of the skating or what but I seem to be able to kick quite hard,or so the padholders tell me.The only thing I have to be careful with is my feet and ankles,I think I will invest in a good set of ankle supports and maybe that would be something for you to think about.Besides that I wish I had started this 20yrs ago.

I've missed three classes already due to snow, and I'll bet my class tomorrow is canceled. that means three weeks with no class! It's killing me, I miss it.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...

I've went to my first class thursday. However I've discovered it's not kickboxing but boxing alone. Anyhow not that it mattered very much. This has got to be one of the toughest training session I have ever been too. My muscles still ache and it's days later. Nonetheless, I did enjoy class and intend to continue boxing as well as Can Ryu Jiu Jitsu.