• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay, so i've noticed as of late that when practicing certain kicks im better at the 'most advanced' versions.

hook kicks: i can do a far better 360 hook kick than a 'static one.

spinning back kicks: i just cant do them, but i can do them jumping, or with a front foot sidekick to set me up.

axe kick: the only way I can do these well is jumping.

I dunno if thats good or bad, but, can anyone give me tips?

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sure you're weird... everybody's weird, so I suppose that makes you normal. :D

As for the kicks, it sounds like it's easier to do them because you're getting more momentum behind them. That's fine, but it's also important to be able to do the more basic, static kicks. Just practice, practice, practice. The more you do them, the better you'll get. Start low, then work your strength and flexibility after you have technique down. I had to practice hook kicks to the hip for months before I could start to bring it up.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Are you noticing yourself taking those extra 'set up' kind of steps when you do the jumps or spins vs. the static ones? and yes, you're weird! but it's alright my friend...

At the sound of the tone, the time is now....

Sure you're weird... everybody's weird, so I suppose that makes you normal. :D

As for the kicks, it sounds like it's easier to do them because you're getting more momentum behind them. That's fine, but it's also important to be able to do the more basic, static kicks. Just practice, practice, practice. The more you do them, the better you'll get. Start low, then work your strength and flexibility after you have technique down. I had to practice hook kicks to the hip for months before I could start to bring it up.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I started thinking about the momentum as I was reading his post. It does make sense that they are easier to perform, with the added momentum.

Lordtarial is correct, I think. Practice the static kicks as well, because if you make them strong, your spinning, more dynamic kicks will be even stronger.

And remember, there may be times where you can't perform the more dynamic kick, due to a lack of space, or getting older :D , or something like that. Get those basics down! You will be glad that you did.

haha thanks for comments, as for set up steps, i never do extra steps as it makes the oppenent more aware of the kick coming: explosive actions ^^ yay

You may also do them better due to increased dynamic stretching of your muscles over static stretch. My static kicks are not as good as the dynamic ones.

"An object in motion tends to remain in motion."

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

i cant kick head height with side kicks. im not flexible, my stretching sucks :P

I can't even side kick a hip! I can't do side kicks to save the world. My flexibility sucks too. I just bought the book Stretching by Bob Anderson. Now I have to do the work...

i cant kick head height with side kicks. im not flexible, my stretching sucks :P

Believe it or not, even someone with limited flexibility can get their kicks up there if they engage their hips correctly. It takes time and practice, that all.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There's hope! Thanks lordtariel.