• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The "oh that hurts!...you suck! " drama queen....

I was waiting for the previous class to finish sparring one day last week. Between matches the instructor told the class that if they were in competition and their opponent was making noises about them hitting too hard that they were not to let up. He told them that was the referee's call, that the referee would break them up if he thought they were doing too much contact. He told them that was why they touched gloves before and after the match. I think it was implied that he, the instructor, was the referee in sparring. At least that was the message I got.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, kind of like this! He didn't seem to bark out any drama queen antics when sparring the sempai, from what I can tell in your post. This will end up in one of two ways: 1. he has learned his lesson, and will continue to learn in an undisruptive manner....2. he has discovered that either this school or the MAs in general are not for him, and he will move on. Either way, this should work out well for you, Sibylla.

I hope so. I don't advocate using force either to get a point over, but at times there are exceptions.

I have a bit of a similar annoying situation.

In my club its all guys and two girls (me and the other one), so for sizes' sake we usually work together (We are both 5'5" and the guys are all over 6').

Every other week she comes in with another "broken" or "torn" something or other. One week her shoulder, then her ankle, then her wrist, etc.

In fact, at our activities fair at school, I got back (after being out for a bit because my knee was catching and hurting) and said that my mri came back and I have a torn meniscus. Sooo.... of course when she was fighting someone to demo- she limps over... "Oh, I think I've torn my meniscus" And of course she goes to the dr, and he always takes films and always says she is fine, then a couple weeks later something else is wrong.

The boys don't seem to notice and actually seem think she is hurt every time, which is kind of funny.

Anyway, I didn't really care, until we had the guy above our instructor come up to test us (for the first time) and she's all "my shoulder... I don't know that I can stay too long" and then after about 5 mins later, she forgets and is fine, then an instructor walks by and she makes all pain faces like I'm hurting her, and they usually tell her that she doesn't have to continue- they'd understand... and then she looks all in pain, closes her eyes and says "it's ok, sir, I'll continue"

Again, more obnoxious than anything else, but then I'm testing and she's making it look like I have no control and am damaging my partner (a mark of someone unexperienced and or unpracticed).

Ugh. Thanks for listening to me vent- this seemed like the right place :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Wow. This kind of behavior would never occur to me. Any ideas what you are going to do about it?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Marie, I have had that happen to me before. I was working with someone close to my rank at the time, (I think 4th or 5th kyu). This student acted as if I was completely out of control with my techniques, crying out in pain. It couldn't be further from the truth. Finally, I spoke to my instructor, not in an accusatory manner, but just saying that I do have control and have never had complaints by other students when working with them. He said, " Notice all the mirrors I have on all sides of the dojo, I see alot, I know what is going on. Continue to be patient. " I did as he asked. When I went up for rank testing and the other did not. It was explained by the instructor - "Well, it seems you are having trouble blocking techniques and constantly being injured. Learn to block the strikes and you can move up." Wow, did that work in a hurry. All in all, talk to your instructor.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

We have a "Lack of Defense" penalty when we are competing as well. The ref is watching you the whole time and if you are throwing proper techniques and the other person is acting like they keep getting hurt or faking getting hurt, they can get a foul and give you a point, or in some extremes, be bared from competition.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Heh, cool story Jaymac. I always knew those mirrors in dojos were for something....

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Marie Curie: You have my sympathy. I've trained with a woman who was pretty much like that. (And I did not hit her hard either..) It especially annoyes when it comes from a woman, since I think most women aren't in the dojo to play out their feminity, but to train. And it can make all of us look bad. Anyway, what to do with it? The sensei in that dojo wouldn't touch the issue, but since the woman either uses some excuse to avoid to spar or get injuried momentarily and have to sit out, her progress is stopping. I suspect that will happen with the one in you dojo as well, she will dig her own hole, if her complaing doesn't work I guess she will start to sit out. Or she will eventually meet an instructor that deals with her.

Marie, I have had that happen to me before. I was working with someone close to my rank at the time, (I think 4th or 5th kyu). This student acted as if I was completely out of control with my techniques, crying out in pain. It couldn't be further from the truth. Finally, I spoke to my instructor, not in an accusatory manner, but just saying that I do have control and have never had complaints by other students when working with them. He said, " Notice all the mirrors I have on all sides of the dojo, I see alot, I know what is going on. Continue to be patient. " I did as he asked. When I went up for rank testing and the other did not. It was explained by the instructor - "Well, it seems you are having trouble blocking techniques and constantly being injured. Learn to block the strikes and you can move up." Wow, did that work in a hurry. All in all, talk to your instructor.

Thanks :) Well, the guy was only around for one day, so I guess he'll just see next time that I'm not quite as dangerous as I seemed :) hehe

Thanks

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu