• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are some good drills?

I need some help. I am teaching a small class at my church but have more students that I anticipated. I came from a very traditional school where we went over curriculum all the time.

These students seem a little bored with curriculum. What are some good drills I can use to bring more variety?

Any suggestions would be very helpful

:-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking on pads, heavy bags, etc., is always fun, and can be a good workout. Get some help to have other hold the bags, and do some kicking and punching drills on them. They should enjoy that.

Sometimes we all get in a circle facing in and put our hands behind our heads. The first person round kicks the person to the left of them in the stomach just hard enough that they have to resist it. Then that person round kicks the next person. You're supposed to go as soon as you get kicked. About half way around the first person kicks again so you have two kicks going around the circle You don't want the second to catch up with the first. Then you do the other direction with the other foot. So you want to be careful. You hit too hard the first time and the other person will get their round with you. The purpose of this is more to get people used to taking hits than it is about technique.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Sometimes we all get in a circle facing in and put our hands behind our heads. The first person round kicks the person to the left of them in the stomach just hard enough that they have to resist it. Then that person round kicks the next person. You're supposed to go as soon as you get kicked. About half way around the first person kicks again so you have two kicks going around the circle You don't want the second to catch up with the first. Then you do the other direction with the other foot. So you want to be careful. You hit too hard the first time and the other person will get their round with you. The purpose of this is more to get people used to taking hits than it is about technique.

That sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing that drill.

One drill that we do in class is to teach control. We line up into two lines, with about 2 feet of space between each person front to back and side to side (just enough room to go between the two lines walking normally). We then take turns doing kicks down the center of the two lines, starting from the back and working forward. The point is to perform your kicks without telegraphing. If you telegraph, you're going to kick someone standing in one of the lines. So, you are made very aware of how you're executing your kicks, especially roundhouse or crescent/sweep kicks. If you tend to swing your leg way out to the side when you kick, this is one drill that can cure it, since you have to pay attention to what you're doing.

what goes around, comes around

Here are two links to two drills we've discussed:

http://www.karateforums.com/close-quarters-hip-exercise-vt29570.html?highlight=

and

http://www.karateforums.com/close-quarters-exercise-vt28855.html?highlight=

As for a few others here we go:

1. Have the class pair up as closely as possible to the same height. Have one of the pair throw **Very light** punches to the head/chest and the other push them to the side/up/down to get that punch off-target. Examine the effectiveness.

Next, one of the pair will turn 90 degrees to one side and close their eyes. At that point the one facing will begin to throw *very light* punches at the head & chest level. The person with their eyes closed with merely move their hand left/right up/down to push the fist/flat hand away slightly. Examine that effectiveness.

Lastly, have them face one another again and repeat the first drill. You'll be amazed at the results.

Switch, repeat. :)

2. Have your class paired up. Each pair faces one another and locks eye contact. They aren't allowed to break eye contact no matter what. Have them reach out and hold one another's hands, and they move their hands around. Up down, left right, all that jazz. Next, they let go & close their eyes. They will then try to lightly touch the face/gi of their partner, while simultaneously blocking each other. Amazing results yet again.

Afterward, have them do it with close fists, and use punching techniques with blocking/evading techniques. Have them go from slow to fast, building up speed. Truly amazing results at this point. :)

3. Have the class get into pairs (eventually trios). The goal is to start in the middle of an area with clearly defined border, like a sparring ring. The goal is to push their partner to one side and outside of the boundary. They aren't allowed to break contact so the moment their hands land on another they can't let go or reposition or even move their hands from where they are. So they can't let go either or they lose.

4. Have the class pair up. One person stands in ready stance, and the other is about ten steps away. Have that one walk/run/skip/whatever toward the stationary partner. the moment they are within range of an attack they randomly do so. Slow motion at first, building up speed.

All I can think of just now. I'll probably have more later.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 4 weeks later...

We started working on this a little while ago. You run along the mats in an "S" shape so you run down to the front of the dojo, turn 90, run half way, turn 90 again, run to the back of the dojo, turn... you get the idea. We do various sets on each straight:

Sprint, Sidestep, Sprint, Sidestep

Sprint, Backpedal, Sprint, Backpedal

Sprint, Sidestep, Backpedal, Sprint

You can mix it up however you want with whatever stepping you want. Sometimes after we've been run ragged, we'll line up for some sparring. Sparring when you're winded is much different than normal sparring and something I feel kind of useful. You never know if you'll need to turn and fight after running from or towards something.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Hello, For the younger kids (5-12 years old), we sometimes form several lines and have a relay race with some of our various excerise's. (each time a new excerise).

Everyone usually enjoys sparring...we pair them up and say only hands..than only kicks...rotate (new partners)...hands and foot...sometimes only one person is attacking and the other blocking only.

If you have use of a video and TV...you may want to order some tapes on martials arts , (competitions of other arts or same). ...tournments and so on....maybe once a month for 1/2 hour.

Verbal training: Role playing (get the book "Verbal JUDO")...Aloha

• 2 months later...

I have some easy ones......

stand facing eachother in horse stance. students try to maintain balance as the other students tries to push them over. they can only touch with open palms. when someone moves their foot or falls,they "lose". they do one pushup.

Animal races. have them racefrom one end of the room to the other doing diferent animal walks. Crab walk is fun.... leap frog etc.... get creative!!!!

next... pair them up. each holds the others leg in a front kick position... they bounce on the remaining leg for 30 seconds to one minute. then switch.... builds calves like crazy and they willl have a blast!!!!

I could go on and on, but this has been covered many times in this forum.... search for my post on "the nothing game" you will find many their.

Make sure your games and such have a martial art purpose.... not just recess. Let the parents see that you have purpose. Good luck.

Ps. only do one "game" or so a night, you don't want to blow your whole wad at once.

place clever martial arts phrase here

One drill that we do in class is to teach control. We line up into two lines, with about 2 feet of space between each person front to back and side to side (just enough room to go between the two lines walking normally). We then take turns doing kicks down the center of the two lines, starting from the back and working forward. The point is to perform your kicks without telegraphing. If you telegraph, you're going to kick someone standing in one of the lines. So, you are made very aware of how you're executing your kicks, especially roundhouse or crescent/sweep kicks. If you tend to swing your leg way out to the side when you kick, this is one drill that can cure it, since you have to pay attention to what you're doing.

this sounds really interesting, but I don't think that I understand the description- could you try again for me?

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu