• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Shotokan Striking in UFC

I think you'll find the common denominator of all the martial arts that transition well into MMA is that they train their techniques full go on a regular basis. Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling ect...(sorry if I left some out) tend to have that in common.

This is the point I was getting at, ps1. These styles all have training methods that make the practice of the style more immediately transferable to the MMA ring.

I think that other style can have success, however, they have to abandon some of their more 'tradtional' training methods to make time for the ring training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points.

However, i disagree about the statements about kata training being useless for actual fhgitng, etc. Kata helps memorize combinations, develop strength of purpose, refine technique. THere is no way to really tell if guys like Machida use a lot of kata training or not. Kata-only or self-defense is of course incomplete, but thats nothing masters like Funakoshi, Oyama, Nishiyama, Itosu, or others havent already said.

so, I do agree, of course, that if you want to fight you have to train to fight, a lot! But that is standard practice in high-level Traditional Karate. Before a tournament, for example, (light or full contact), one should spends a LOT of time training footwork, timing, etc. etc. and doing actual sparring. This is not what is done in the majority of dojos you fund, because they are geared towards people who dont fight for a living. But the techniques are there, the methods are there, etc. etc.

I'm just saying that some TMA's, like good shotokan, are an excellent base for fighting in MMA styles, etc and we will see more and more of that....

Who is the current fighter that claims the TKD background?

Serkan Yilmaz has fought in K-1, is that who you meant?

That doesn't sound right, because I thought that there was a UFC fighter that had a TKD background.

I'm just saying that some TMA's, like good shotokan, are an excellent base for fighting in MMA styles, etc and we will see more and more of that....

I agree with you here...the traditional MAs do form a good base. There are many fighters already out there who have admitted to having a base in differnent, more 'traditional' systems. I feel that many traditional stylists would like to move onto the higher level of MMA competitions, and take their MA training to that level, by joining an MMA gym and expanding their training.

That doesn't sound right, because I thought that there was a UFC fighter that had a TKD background.

There are a couple I think, correct me if I am wrong but I think that these guys do:

Stephen Bonnar (not that hes doing very well at the moment!)

David Louisea (not sure how to spell the last name, although I think he no longer has a contract with the UFC)

Im fairly sure GSP has done TKD in the past

There are a couple I think, correct me if I am wrong but I think that these guys do:

Stephen Bonnar (not that hes doing very well at the moment!)

David Louisea (not sure how to spell the last name, although I think he no longer has a contract with the UFC)

Im fairly sure GSP has done TKD in the past

Thank you for the list. :)

Thank you for the list.

Thats fine, there is also an up and comer in England called Zelg Galesic he does TKD as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce30XajgqiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce30XajgqiI

He is the current Cage Rage middleweight champion I believe. He won it off Mark Weir another TKD fighter who also fought in a UFC (not sure which one)

That is cool information. Thanks for the clips.

He looked like he had a pretty good defense against the takedown, and even had a triangle slapped in there once. His kicks are sharp and fast, and he has nice knee strikes, too.

• 1 month later...