• Karate
    • Tae Kwon Do
    • Kung Fu
    • Judo
    • Muay Thai
    • Aikido
    • Tang Soo Do
    • Tai Chi

:karate: ive trained in karate and TKD, but i wanted to know what would this be closest to:

alot of Kicking, punching, blocking, extensive sparring, and not that much forms(or katas), and slow testing inbetween periods

~josh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MMA clubs deal with lots of angles of combat and gives you a base level of skills you can call upon. The key thing is go along to a few and compare them. Select which one is suited to you, then off you go into a world of sweat and tears and above all a lifetime of enjoyment.

Good luck in your search

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

muay thai, no kata at all. sparring, kicks, punches, elbows, knees

mma: all round stuff, no kata

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

:karate: ive trained in karate and TKD, but i wanted to know what would this be closest to:

alot of Kicking, punching, blocking, extensive sparring, and not that much forms(or katas), and slow testing inbetween periods

I screwed up royally. :D I thought it was a poll on one's personal preference for martial arts. I voted for "karate" because that's MY love, but upon reading the question as carefully as I should have in the first place, I see what you're asking. Given those parameters, I think Muay Thai would be the way to go, if you are convinced that you "don't do" kata. A second on the list might be TKD. Most schools do forms or poomse, which are analogous to kata in karate, but some eschew the forms empahsis for a focus on Olympic sparring or the like. It sounds like you are willing to have to do some forms, you just don't want a system that is based upon extensive forms practice.

As for karate, it's virtually never taught without forms. In fact, there is a saying that "Karate IS Kata." When I first started karate, I was shocked at how much of an emphasis was put on kata and how little sparring we actually did. However, in a short time, I saw how doing kata was teaching me how to move better and more efficiently. I also saw how beautiful a well-performed kata actually was and I experienced how it felt to nail a kata. But to each his own. Good luck.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry