• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking up BJJ in my mid 40's?

I currently train in Muay Thai and decided awhile ago to add BJJ next month. I can train both arts at a good school and take BJJ from Pedro Sauer. However, I have been reading in this forum and some other places about the injuries BJJ practitioners can sustain to their joints (naturally). At the age of 45 with relatively healthy joints, I have no desire to sprain or otherwise injure my shoulders, knees, hips, or ankles. Does anyone have any insight as to the likelihood of that? I know I have to work on becoming more flexible, especially in my hips. I can also avoid heavy sparring, but I am still concerned.

Is it worth the risk? Should I just stick with Muay Thai? How can I reduce the risk of injury in BJJ?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your going to have some wear and tear no matter what sport you do. It is natural. I have met quite a few guys that train at your age and older. If your going to be training with Pedro Sauer directly, you shouldn't have any worries. Pedro and his instructors are very professional and run a good BJJ program.

Some thing that you can do to help prevent injuries is too take it slow, train with guys around your age if possible, and let the instructors know of your concerns.

Another BJJ black belt has recently put out a instructional called "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Over 40" which was developed specifically for people like you. You can find out more info on it at https://www.royharris.com. I have the DVD myself and I am only 32. It has lots of great training drills, techniques, and tips. I hope this helps you out and good luck with your training!

Thanks, gubbs, that video looks right on the mark. There are some older guys who train at this school and Pedro is 48 with a family, so he is experienced with the issue. Anyone out there have any stories or ideas to share?

Personally, baron, I would be more concerned about sustaining injuries in Muay Thai, rather than BJJ. Ed O'Neil trains BJJ, and he is pushing 50 or better, I think.

Just be smart, and know when to tap, and you should have many happy years of rolling ahead of you.

And I will be jealous! :P

Could be! Someone in here had a signature that said, "pain is weakness leaving the body." I prefer to think of pain as weakness entering the body. Mine, at least! :lol:

baronbvp,

I also train under Pedro Sauer. When you train with him he will tell you that the most important technique you can apply is the tap. That's the technique that keeps you safe. Pay attention in class, don't train with anyone who seems to go harder than you feel you can go. Pedro is one of the most technical and skilled BJJ practitioners in the world (that's a title voted on by the ADCC). If you train properly, your liklihood of serious injury is certainly less than in Muay Thai. There will always be bumps and bruises here and there, but I'm sure you're used to that.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks, ps1. You're right, I am used to bumps and bruises. So far I haven't gotten hurt in Muay Thai but I am only a beginner. And, I don't mind getting hit as much as having my joints tweaked too far.

Your words about training and tapping in BJJ are sage. Glad to hear you like training under Pedro; I can already tell he's good people.

Let's just say your quote about kinetic chess does not begin to describe the level of skill he's at.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll bet!

baronbvp,

I also train under Pedro Sauer. When you train with him he will tell you that the most important technique you can apply is the tap. That's the technique that keeps you safe. Pay attention in class, don't train with anyone who seems to go harder than you feel you can go. Pedro is one of the most technical and skilled BJJ practitioners in the world (that's a title voted on by the ADCC). If you train properly, your liklihood of serious injury is certainly less than in Muay Thai. There will always be bumps and bruises here and there, but I'm sure you're used to that.

What you mention here are some of the things that make BJJ attractive to me. I would love to be able to train with this style. Like you say, ps1, as long as you tap when you feel it, you should stay pretty injury free.

One question I do have is this: Do you ever have a problem with students who go into a technique too fast and too hard, causing an injury before the other student is able to tap?