• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and the Olympics

Sensei Tom OBrien

With all the rumors going around I thought I should share this from the AAU:

Dear Karate Enthusiast:

It is with Great regret that I must inform you that rumors being circulated as to the Olympic status of Karate are false. We have been inundated with questions regarding whether karate is now an Olympic sport.

Apparently, the excitement and rumors were sparked by the proclamation on the USANKF website and headline in a commercial Karate website that "Karate is now an Olympic Sport." The article goes on to state that "karate has been raised to the level of an Olympic sport," proclaiming a sundry of items and asks for a $250.00 lifetime membership to the USANKF the organization making this claim.

Let there be no misunderstanding - - karate is not in the Olympics and is not an Olympic sport. The International Olympic Committee has confirmed to us in writing that karate indeed is not an Olympic sport. We will attach their communication with our office for you. "Click Here for .pdf Doc" The following explanation should allay any remaining doubt.

“Five ‘non-Olympic’ sports - roller sports, squash, golf, karate and rugby sevens - - had been studied by the Olympic Programme Commission as part of its two-year analysis. The International Federations, the IFs, for these five sport were deemed to have met the criteria to be considered. The following procedure was followed in Singapore in 2005 to determine whether any of those sports would become Olympic sports.

The first group of voting would determine the first nominee for consideration. The following are the results of that vote as reported by the IOC:

First Round

Karate: 23

Roller Sports: 20

Rugby: 17

Squash: 16

Golf: 14

Second Round

Karate: 27

Rugby: 22

Squash: 21

Roller Sports: 20

Third Round

Karate: 33

Squash: 29

Rugby: 25

Fourth Round

Squash: 40

Karate: 39

Squash is elected as one of the two nominees.

The second group of voting would determine the second nominee for consideration. The following are the results of the that vote as reported by the IOC:

Fifth Round

Karate: 32

Rugby: 23

Roller Sports: 22

Golf: 15

Sixth Round

Karate: 35

Rugby: 33

Roller Sports: 28

Seventh Round

Karate: 54

Rugby: 38

Karate is elected as the second nominee.

From these five ‘non-Olympic’ sports, the IOC members selected karate and squash as the two sports which could potentially be chosen to join the Olympic programme for London 2012. For such selection to be endorsed, however, a two-thirds majority is needed, since any ‘non-Olympic’ sport must become an Olympic sport and listed as such in the Olympic Charter under Rule 46.

The following are the results of the that vote as reported by the IOC:

Vote on the Inclusion of Karate on Rule 46 of the Olympic Charter

Yes: 38

No: 63

“Neither squash nor karate obtained this two thirds majority and will therefore not be included for London 2012.”

Further evidence that karate is not an Olympic sport can be found at Rule 46 of the IOC Charter, titled “Olympic Sports,” which provides that “The sports governed by the following IFs are considered as Olympic sports.” The Rule goes on to list 27 IFs for the summer games. The WKF is not listed.

In 2005 in Singapore, karate was not accepted by the International Olympic Committee (“IOC”) as a sport to participate in the Olympics through at least 2016. Karate is not scheduled to participate as a sport in any upcoming Olympics. Moreover, the IOC itself referred to karate as a “non-Olympic” sport in its July 11, 2005 report of the Singapore vote.

Although karate has not been ignored by the IOC, it certainly has not been named as an Olympic sport. Feel free to review the IOC website where you will find a section titled "Recognised Sports." Although titled "Recognised Sports," the section actually recognizes International Federations, not sports:

"In order to promote the Olympic Movement, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may recognise as International Sports Federations (IFs) international non-governmental organisations administering one or several sports at world level and encompassing organisations administering such sports at national level."

The section goes on to state the standards imposed on an IF in order to retain its "recognized" status, and that the status is limited to 2 years absent renewal. The section goes on to list 29 sports whose IFs have received "recognized" status. Among these sports are Bandy and Korfball, sports which you probably have never heard of, and Chess and Tug of War, games which most would not even consider to be sports. Karate is listed among these "sports" and the section directs you to the WKF website for more information.

Thus, although the WKF has received Olympic recognition, karate has not. To declare that karate is an Olympic sport would be declaring that Chess and Tug of War are also now Olympic sports. We ask you to ignore the baseless rumors. Notwithstanding the efforts of few to unfairly manipulate the Olympic movement, there are many truly working toward attaining Olympic recognition for the sport of karate. We will keep you advised at that effort.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've known this for years, and knew it won't be for years to come unless there is a unity and standardization of all organizations. There is a "slim" chance of that happening considering that all organizations want to be the ones to claim that "they" are the IOC Karate authority...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I've known this for years, and knew it won't be for years to come unless there is a unity and standardization of all organizations. There is a "slim" chance of that happening considering that all organizations want to be the ones to claim that "they" are the IOC Karate authority...

- Killer -

Actually, I think that there is already an organization that is considered by the IOC as the NGB for Karate. I think the WKF has the inside track, and if the IOC does decide to put Karate in the games at some point, they will already have the NGB decided, as long as they maintain the criterea needed.

The WTF was around long before TKD became an Olympic sport, and has its rules and regulations in place for years. It probably made the transition to Olympic event much easier for both the WTF and the IOC.

- Killer -

Actually, I think that there is already an organization that is considered by the IOC as the NGB for Karate. I think the WKF has the inside track, and if the IOC does decide to put Karate in the games at some point, they will already have the NGB decided, as long as they maintain the criterea needed.

The WTF was around long before TKD became an Olympic sport, and has its rules and regulations in place for years. It probably made the transition to Olympic event much easier for both the WTF and the IOC.

I think you're right. A couple of years back, there was a competition sponsored by the IOC called the "Titan Games" that featured all the combat-oriented Olympic events (WTF TKD, judo, boxing, wrestling and fencing) plus karate. The karate competition was operated according to WKF rules and the athletes involved were well-known WKF competitors such as Elisa Au and George Kotaka. Karate is recognized as an official sport by the IOC, it is simply not included in the Olympic Games as an event. I think the biggest hurdle is the idea, whether actual or perceived, that the Olympic Games have too many different sports already (some sports have recently been dropped, such as baseball and there are also undercurrents that combat-oriented sports are on the chopping block.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Just by being recognized, TKD was able to work its way into the Games eventually. I think Karate has a chance eventually as well.

However, it may have some competition with the upstart IFL. Those guys really have something going there.

Well karate should be an olympic sport. In my opinion that is.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen