• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Competition

GojuGal

Once again, relax. Also, if you mess up a kata, keep going as though the mistake was supposed to be there. Look confident. Keep you kata timings good - some parts are meant to be slow, others fast.

I've seen people mess up a kata and still take first place because they made it look like they knew what they were doing.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, relax. Also, if you mess up a kata, keep going as though the mistake was supposed to be there. Look confident. Keep you kata timings good - some parts are meant to be slow, others fast.

I've seen people mess up a kata and still take first place because they made it look like they knew what they were doing.

Also, if you go to a mixed styles tournament, there is a good chance that the judges won't really know the form you are doing. That can work in your favor as well.

if you go to a mixed style tournament the judges are not allowed to judge you based on whether u do the steps that they do or not, because even amoungst styles, different schools teach kata's differently... so regardless of what u do, if you look like its sposed to be there, to them, your doing the right kata

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

Best advice, relax and have fun. Take the time to talk to your fellow competitors. Use it as a forum to learn, not just compete. If someone does something you like, ask them about it. Beyond that just do your best and you will always have won. Good luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Best advice, relax and have fun. Take the time to talk to your fellow competitors. Use it as a forum to learn, not just compete. If someone does something you like, ask them about it.

This is some great advise. You will learn so much about yourself by competing. They are lessons that you just really can't learn in the classroom setting.

Wow, everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to offer all this great advice. I really appreciate it. It's all been very helpful and you've managed to take away at least some of the nerves!

Thanks again!

Hey, you probably wouldn't be normal if you didn't have some nerves going into your first tournament. I still sometimes get a twinge or two when I'm performing at a demo or doing a tournament.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Wow, everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to offer all this great advice. I really appreciate it. It's all been very helpful and you've managed to take away at least some of the nerves!

Thanks again!

Hey, you're welcome! That is what we are here for. Just let us know how it goes when you get back! :karate: Good luck and have fun!

i think now im more nervous bout ure tourney than u are!!!! when is it! i want to count down the days till ure response... :P what can i say... school is boring and im still in the process of finding a new karate school where i moved

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun