• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking in a fight

Since "cheap shots" has been brought up, I think this is a good time to remind people that the old Japanese idea of honour among warriors was introduced as a means to control the warrior class.

Of course, I have a Chinese martial art history and as such, most of my primary targets such as the throat, knees, groin, eye area etc would be considered cheap.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not have taken martial arts if my philosophy was to just try to survive a fight, by any means necessary like hair pulling and groin shots. I just want to put what I learned to good use. I'm just trying to say that I don't pay so much every month that when the time arises to fight, I just go for "cheap" shots.

Martial, by definition, means war. Most of the techniques that are taken from any fighting style, are descended from moves that worked directly in defense of life, country, family, etc. Included in these techniques are the "cheap tricks" like hair pulling, eye gouging, biting, groin kicking, etc. If you are defending yourself, and skip an opportunity to do something that you consider "cheap" because you feel that is not the way it should be done, then you end up doing yourself a disservice in the end. Especially if it ends up in your defeat.

Whether it is pretty or ugly, fancy or brutal, a fight is a fight. Just my opinion, though.

I agree with you on this. If you see an opportunity, seize it. Realistically, fights are ugly, and brutal. you're usually just trying to not get knocked out and trying to knock the other person out. During the course of emotional rage, very few have the mentality remain calm and not get frantic, to seize the opportunity to groin kick...or kick at all for that matter, unless it's a pre-emptive strike.

A New Age Dawns

Since "cheap shots" has been brought up, I think this is a good time to remind people that the old Japanese idea of honour among warriors was introduced as a means to control the warrior class.

Of course, I have a Chinese martial art history and as such, most of my primary targets such as the throat, knees, groin, eye area etc would be considered cheap.

I think the idea of the 'cheap shot' came into being when various cultures decided to begin implementing rules into training for a sport and way of life, rather than combat.

In a fight, you had better do what you have to in order to survive. No such thing as a cheap shot in a street fight.

I have also heard that "there is no such thing as a fair fight." I believe this fully.

John Wayne fought fair. If you are not John Wayne, don't fight fair.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I'd most definately kick someone between the legs. It isn't cheap, they shouldn't engage in a fight if they didn't expect me to go all out and for them to get hurt. They probably won't fight fair at all. This isn't the days of chivalry and the like, we don't "go over the rules of engagement" and most punks will utilise the dirtiest methods possible to get what they want.

Besides, my legs are a lot longer than my arms and I'd rather keep as much distance between me and my opponent as possible. :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Most of the street kids I work with (and their adult homies) think hitting to the groin and kicking are cheap shots. They'll tell you that just before they and four or five of their friends jump you and stomp on your head once you're down.

If I ever have to fight (again), I'll do it my way. And I let them know that up front if it comes up.

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

Hello, In a real street fight or any fight for your life? Real fights has NO rules, most times fast and furious, anything goes including using things around you for weapons.

NO such thing as NOT kicking....Real fighting is not a gentlemans sport here....survival is most important thing. In a real fight anyone can jump in any time.

Eye gouging,biting,ripping, breaking bones,strikes to the groin...are all tarkets that your attacter may use against you! Watch for chokes too!

Kicks are some of the best weapons to use, also to keep the attacker away too!

Anyone who thinks kicking is not right? ....Wake-up the other person may kick you! Do not limit your available weapons.

In a real fight the other person may not stop attacking you or stop hitting until your body does not move anymore.....(because if we let you up...you may fight again) ....coming from people who have fought many times on the gang fights on the streets.

They will use anything around too to hit you with...NO rules...just survival!

Guns, knives,basebats, pipes, lumber, if around will be use against you....and you do not want to kick? .....Aloha

PS: Kicking is a part of our martial arts training....NOT to use it? ...is foolish in a real fight. (if you have a chance or opening).

....Real fighting is not a gentlemans sport here....survival is most important thing....

Nicely said, "kill or be killed!" :karate:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius