• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rhythm

But it's a bit harder in a real sparring situation. I guess lots of practice is the answer to all "how-to's" of the martial arts questions...

You hit the nail on the head with that. Another option is to take up a musical instrument. You can learn alot about rythym and tempo from music.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As I understand rhythm in budo; it is that rhythm similar to what we see, hear, feel, and sense in nature itself. Wind has a rhythm, the flow of water has a rhythm. It does not follow a specific pace or pattern yet it has rhythm.

When we first practice we develop a rhythm that has a specific tempo that is unique to each of us. To continue along that path we must endeavor to develop a more natural (as in relation to mother nature).

When next hiking outdoors, stay in the moment, focus on nature, study this carefully.

Bibliography

Lowry, Dave. Sword and Brush: The Spirit of the Martial Arts. Boston: Shambhala, 1995

This is great!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Another option is to take up a musical instrument. You can learn alot about rythym and tempo from music.

I agree it helps a lot. I play the piano and I used to dance, so generally I don't have problems with rhythm. It's just different with an opponent, that doesn't cooperate like a dancing partner would... ;) :D

Thanks for all suggestions guys. :karate:

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org