• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rhythm

Just wanted to express a thought as to rhythm. We all try to develop rhythm so we practice hard. When we say rhythm do we mean the type similar to what musicians use in music, the steady rhythmic beat used to set the tempo and so on?

As I understand rhythm in budo; it is that rhythm similar to what we see, hear, feel, and sense in nature itself. Wind has a rhythm, the flow of water has a rhythm. It does not follow a specific pace or pattern yet it has rhythm.

When we first practice we develop a rhythm that has a specific tempo that is unique to each of us. To continue along that path we must endeavor to develop a more natural (as in relation to mother nature).

When next hiking outdoors, stay in the moment, focus on nature, study this carefully.

Bibliography

Lowry, Dave. Sword and Brush: The Spirit of the Martial Arts. Boston: Shambhala, 1995

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is interesting, Charles. When thinking of rhythm, it makes me think of Bruce Lee's concept of broken rhythm. Both are good, and too much of each could be bad.

It's an interesting subject, because good rhythm can tremendously benefit your performance, in a sense that movements are more fluid, individual techniques become interconnected, faster and even more powerful.

It's of course important to be able to change and adapt it without loosing your focus. I've never heard of the "Broken rhythm" (shame on me :P). But I googled it and I really like the concept.

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org

It's of course important to be able to change and adapt it without loosing your focus. I've never heard of the "Broken rhythm" (shame on me :P). But I googled it and I really like the concept.

Yeah, the 'broken rhythm' was one of Bruce Lee's principles of Jeet Kune Do. He felt that being rhythmic could lead into the opponent figuring out your patterns and such. After all, human beings are creatures of habit. Therefore, he used the broken rhythm to keep opponents more off-balanced.

No mater what it's of, awareness is always a good thing. I agree that the "Broken Rhythm" concept is a good thing. There are times that you can use rhythm to bait someone though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are times that you can use rhythm to bait someone though.

I agree with you there. Then, you can use the broken rhythm to take them out.

Does anyone have suggestions, exercises or tips (anything) on how to improve rhythm?

In our classes we do a lot of count drills to get comfortable with connecting a certain series of punches and blocks, the counting forcing us to maintain a certain rhythm - but thats about it... I'm just courious if anyone has some other idea on how to improve, except repeating the same movements over and over again.

Thanks! :karate:

Close the door, turn the music up and move to it however you want to, just keep moving.

I'm serious.

Okay, I do that occasionally at home. :D

But it's a bit harder in a real sparring situation. I guess lots of practice is the answer to all "how-to's" of the martial arts questions...

Does anyone have suggestions, exercises or tips (anything) on how to improve rhythm?

In our classes we do a lot of count drills to get comfortable with connecting a certain series of punches and blocks, the counting forcing us to maintain a certain rhythm - but thats about it... I'm just courious if anyone has some other idea on how to improve, except repeating the same movements over and over again.

Thanks! :karate:

I think that drilling combinations on focus mitts, working around in a ring or square on the floor would help to build up some rhythm.