• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training: heavy bag or Century BOB(standing dummy)

poisendhearts

haevy bag or dummy  

8 members have voted

1. 1. haevy bag or dummy

• heavy bag
    • dummy

im started karate last week and i know most techniques that i shouldnt for my level and my birthday is coming up and i wanted to know which is better for conditioning heavy bag or the century BOB(standing dummy)

~josh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd say it depends what you want it for. Power training get the bag because you don't want to kick BOB over or injure him. ;)

The advantage of BOB though is that you can see the target areas and your leg can move around the head area (say if you were doing a roundhouse followed by hook kick on the same leg). With a bag, it tends to get in the way!

The advantage of a bag is that (if its safe to do so) you can get it swinging so that your target isn't stationary.

Plus bags tend to be cheaper in my experience.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My preference is the hanging heavy bag, but it's just a personal preference, not based on any deep reasons other than I don't like chasing a standing target around the room.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

BOB is great for "target practice," but I like a heavy bag for conditioning my hands and just plain wailin' on. Sometimes that base that BOB "stands" on gets in the way because it is larger in diameter than BOB himself (except from the side, where BOB's shoulder width is about the same as the base's diameter).

Ed

Ed