• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low Belt Combinations

Xepher

Hello all! First time poster :) Going to my first ever karate tournament on the 24th of Febraury and I am very psyched about point sparring. I am a white belt as of now , but I might be belt testing on the 18th for my white/yellow belt and yellow belt, But I don't know for sure. I was just wondering if there are any low belt combinations that I would be able to execute in point sparring? I am pretty flexible and can execute basic kicks ( Front , Side , and roundhouse , and working on my hook :) ) and am pretty agile , I think I'm a defensive evading type in sparring. I like to keep my distance and throw kicks But I would like to really work on some point sparring combinations! Looking forword To replies! Btw I am seventeen , So I'm against sixteen and seventeen year olds , and I was told I will be facing anywhere from white to green belts. I also study Shotokan

Edited by Xepher

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

As for combinations, use your kicks to set up your punches. If you get in close, start punching your way out, and then finish with a round kick or side kick, to make sure that they have to come back to you. That is what I try to do from time to time.

Good luck, and have fun! :karate: Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Jab, Reverse... Karate's bread and butter. Vary it in tempo and where you're hitting. Good luck in your tournament and welcome to the Forums. Just out of curiosity, what type art do you study? That might help with people telling you combinations.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

he said he takes shotokan karate, harder linear techniques

i already told you some combos so just implement them at the right times and you should win, the chance you'll fight orange and green belts is very slim but it may be a possibility

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

1. combinations, combinations, combinations!!!! lol use punches to set up kicks and kicks to set up punches. whether u hit ur opponent for a point or not dont stop attacking until the judges say stop, keep moving in and moving out 2. DEFEND! and COUNTER! if ur opponent attacks u block and/or lunge out of the way and counter with a jab or reverse punch or roundhouse to an open area and get the point. 3. MOVEMENT!!! what ever u do, do not stand still move side to side, move in and attack then move out, if ur opponent comes after u never move backwards move to the side and counter.

hope this helps and good luck

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

• 2 weeks later...

Whoot! :lol: Tournament on Friday! Getting pumped! I also like using a lunching backfist to the head , like one lunge really fast for the point , seems to be working well ,also are any flying kicks legitimate in point sparring , like a flying front thrust kick?

That depends on the rules of your governing body. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you really have it down, but then again, I'm not big into the fancier kicks. I'd ask your sensei to be sure. Good luck in your tournament. Let us know how it goes.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

That depends on the rules of your governing body. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you really have it down, but then again, I'm not big into the fancier kicks. I'd ask your sensei to be sure. Good luck in your tournament. Let us know how it goes.

I agree. Leaving the ground can leave you open, and committed. Both are not good in sparring, or fighting, for that matter.

Good luck to you! :karate:

no its not, ull get an excessive contact warning for it. if your going to kick, either do it when they lunge at u (give them a solid side thrust to the side) or use a big front thrust (no jumping) to get them to back up and get intimidated

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

HmmHmm ok from your posts I think I can conclude I don't have the skills to use flying kicks legitimitatly , but what about the lunge backfist? It seems to work very well against opponents , It gets my typical sparring partner everytime ( This is Chris for Obiwansbane :) )