• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BB test injuries...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injuries will occur, it is a risk we all take by being in Martial Arts. Luckily, I have only had a minor few. Good thing, because I have to go to work for a living. :lol: Missing work because of an injury I obtained during my training, would really put a damper to paying bills and eating.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Injuries will occur, it is a risk we all take by being in Martial Arts. Luckily, I have only had a minor few. Good thing, because I have to go to work for a living. :lol: Missing work because of an injury I obtained during my training, would really put a damper to paying bills and eating.

This is something that many people consider everyday when training. That is why many will not consider options like MMA or even Muay Thai, because of the higher level of risk involved. However, I do believe that the true risk lies in the competition rather than the training. Most of the training is done in a controlled, safe environment.

Like everyone, I prefer not to get hurt. When it happens during training or sparring, so be it. But I won't break any marble slabs or things like that for any test. (Not that I'm anywhere close.) It simply is not worth the risk. Besides, I don't believe in attacking innocent rock... :roll:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

at my black belt test it was just me and another fellow...maybe in his 30? I don't know. There were 3 other black belts judging us and we had to fight all of them. The other guy was first, and I had turned around while he was fighting this 6'5 250lb black belt to fix my gi when i heard him scream. I turned around and the bigger black belt had sweeped him and then kindof...landed on him and crushed his ribs. He took a minute to take a breath, then he stood (with a great deal of pain) and started fighting again, but it wasn't long before my sensei knew it wasn't safe to go on and he made him sit out of the test.

So then i had to test alone...and fight the realy big rib crusher (i was like 5'5 at the time...) but he felt so bad about the other guy that he was much nicer to me (not that it mattered because he hit me in the head with ease multiple times...) any ways... the man with the broken ribs was in a lot of pain and everytime he talked or moved it hurt, but he still cheered me on during the rest of my test...it made me want to cry :bawling: (cause i am sappy like that...)

they gave him his belt, because he did so well before and because he tried so hard to carry on, but they made him test again when he had healed.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

When I sit in on Black Belt testings, I do want to challenge the testers, but not to the point that I may injure one bad enough to cause them pain and inability to finish a test. That is just ridiculous. Especially because they will eventually sit on my future Dan testings. I wouldn't want someone to take revenge on me during my test.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

There you go, brother.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.