• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi guys . I m back to the forum..I was out of town

I am starting vale tudo (. I dropped Kung Fu , and KB).

I watched some clases ,and its AWESOME .

They put a lot of emphasis on luta livre and ground work .

I would like to know the difference between luta livre and BJJ , please.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Luta Livre, in short, was the first form of mixed martial arts. Luta livre fighters train both grappling and standup aspects of a fight (generally with muay thai and submission wrestling) with the exception that they do not train with the gi on (for grappling).

Its a good style that has produced solid fighters, but BJJ gives a fighter much more expertise on the ground and in grappling in general

The Gracies and Luta Livre have a sort of Hackfield and McCoy relationship. Some of the greatest vale tudo fights happened between the two groups.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I had never heard of luta livre before. I have heard of lucha libre, which sounds similar, but that is Spanish for wrestling or "free fight."

I had never heard of luta livre before. I have heard of lucha libre, which sounds similar, but that is Spanish for wrestling or "free fight."

luta livre is the Portuguese form of that.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

luta livre is the Portuguese form of that.

Aaaah, that makes sense as to why they sound so similar, then. :wink:

• 2 months later...

This is a good video of luta livre training

Many people says that luta livre is BJJ without gi. It is very similar....and people from both styles hate each other ( not me . I dont hate people, and less M. Artists). In grapling tourneys , brazilian people had some riots because that. Some american writters call luta livre ´´BJJ evil twin ´´, cuz it is not so famous in the states.

This sport also have some roots in Judo , but uses wrestling take downs too.The ground work is near the same of BJJ, but there are not so many trows.

I have doing it for a couple of months...we train luta livre + thai.....and I love it.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• 3 weeks later...