• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kwon Shu Karate

AngryDelldo

Hi everyone!

Anyway I was just wondering what everyone thought about this type of karate. I recently joined it with my dad, I'm 25 and he is 50.

We are both looking to spend time with each since we didnt have much time together as I was growing up and thought this would be a good way to make up for it, but also so we can be better to ourselves and others around us.

I've always felt that I should be able to defend or protect anyone at anytime, but without training it would be hard to do.

Any advice or info would be great! thanks.[/b]

~Angry~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard of that style of Karate, but if you have a good instructor, then things should go well for you and your dad. Enjoy your training, and welcome to KarateForums! :karate:

This is all I could find on it. I'm thinking it is streight up Kenpo, or a mix of 3 styles. Kenpo I think is american, and I think this has Japanese influence and chinese as well. I've been watching Kenpo videos and it doesnt fit what were learning that much so I'm pretty confused.

When I go back to my next session I'll be sure and ask my Instructor.

Here is the link. http://daveyclose.tripod.com/what.html

~Angry~

This is all I could find on it. I'm thinking it is streight up Kenpo, or a mix of 3 styles. Kenpo I think is american, and I think this has Japanese influence and chinese as well. I've been watching Kenpo videos and it doesnt fit what were learning that much so I'm pretty confused.

When I go back to my next session I'll be sure and ask my Instructor.

Here is the link. http://daveyclose.tripod.com/what.html

'

It always makes me suspicious when people mangle languages.

"Kwon Shu" sounds like korean or maybe cantonese?

"karate" is Japanese.

Why not pick a language and stick to it?

Either Kenpo Karate or Chuan Fa Kong Soo Dao or Kwon Shu Dang Soo Do? Or just "Super American Karate" or something?

Hm, the page also indicates it can be pronounced "kempo" and there is a reference to Parker. I think it's a blended artform, and not an art unto itself.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Thanks for trying to help me figure it out. We go back monday, so I'll try to find out exactly what its a mix of. I know there is some strong Japanese influence because he is always talking about Okanawa.

My dad use to train in Kenpo and he is finding this to be better and much different than he was taught back then. One thing I noticed from watching Kenpo videos is that it seems to ba an up close kinda technique, where as what we are being taught now is to keep distance between us and the attacker as much as possible.

Either way it's been a great place to be.

~Angry~

I had a conversation with my instructor tonight about our techniques and influences. He told me that what we are learning is basically Kenpo +

Ju Jitsu + Tai Kwon do. He also added that there are other influences as well but these are the main ones.

Speaking of Ed Parker he explained to me how Ed Parker is the father of moddern Kenpo and that he taught different people different things and that all his minuevers were ideas and they should always be improved upon. He went on to add that after Parker passed away that those he taught went to teach what he specifically taught them, when really Parker taught different people different things so they could colaborate and make a very effective system with many techniques and styles.

Basically the school I'm in is always evolving, learning alot of the great benefits from many styles so that we have fewer weaknesses. He said Ju Jitsu is great for 1 on 1, but not multiple enemies because it's an art of grappling, so we learn the grappling techniques. Tai Kwon Do he said is great for kicks, but doesnt support to good of a defense or hand to hand,so we learn many of thier kicking techniques. Kenpo he said has great defensive potential and with all these together plus other styles we can cover more bases and be better prepared.

It's a great school so far and I look forward to each training session with great anticipation.

~Angry~