• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here's the facts: I am deployed to the middle east and have few options of instruction. I started Goju Ryu in October 06. My first ever formal MA instruction and I'm 47. There were 4 students and the Sensei. 3 of the students transfered and one quit. The one that quit is who got me started and he's also taking TKD. The Sensei forgets classes sometimes and does not seem to be organized. He's a good guy but hard to learn from IMHO. Now it's just me and the Sensei told me he pretty much wants to have "informal" classes which equates to me calling him when I want to meet and, again IMHO, he will have an excuse why he can't make it. There are three other courses - TKD, Wushu, or train alone. I have not seen anyone taking the Wushu so it may not have gotten off the ground. The TKD is well attended. Please understand that the courses are taught by people that transfer in and out because nobody here is a local. I really wanted to take Goju for 6 months and then decide what to continue with in the states. TKD would require me to get a new gi too! The Goju sensei wanted us to wear black. What would you do given these choices if you were a newbie?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If I was a newbe, I would take the time to check out each of my options. Look at training times available, the quality of instruction, etc. Then, I would make my decision.

• 1 month later...

I am active duty military and have been to Bahrain a few times. I'll bet you can find something more to your liking by asking around. Talk to the MWR rep on base and perhaps even look out in town. I don't know if you have any FP restrictions or curfews that drive off-base behavior, but take all that into account.

To answer your basic question, much of my training has been informal from whomever I was with, in whatever style I could find. There is value in combat-effective training and/or sparring with anyone you can find. Even MCA (military combat arts) with the SF or Marines is worth your time. Ask around at the base gym. You'll find someone eager to train with you. Focus on what works, and stay away from esoteric philosophy or complicated forms.

I am 45 and do Muay Thai and Jeet Kune Do. I am also interested in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. You are never too old. Just be smart about how aggressively you train and spar versus the risk of injury. Stay hydrated and give your body time to recover from workouts. Good luck!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.