• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's to many Black Belts?

I recently went up on the website of the karate school I used to train at. In a photo of one of the tests there were 6 people that tested and 15 other black belts participating in the test. So, my question is, How many is to many black belts at one school especially if more than half is under 18?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

to me that would depend on the size of the Dojo. obviously the larger it is the more black belts are needed. but 15 with 6 coming does seem a bit much.

When practicing Nunchaku, it is best not to stand under lights....seriously; I have broken more lights that way. :-P

I'd say it depends on the proficiency of the students. If they're ready then why make them wait just because you already have too many. Plus blackbelt is only the begining and why stop someone on their journey when they have only made a few steps?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well that is a problem then. I'd say its fine to have lots of blackbelts but if they don't meet the standard then the dojo is just a belt factory.

Maybe their schools just grown in popularity and they have had a lot of interest... I would have to see the blackbelts myself to make a critical response

Each school will be different when it comes to these situations. There are so many factors to consider, that it is hard to say what exactly is going on.

A question is how long have those black belts been there. If you have three or four who've been around for years, it might not be too unusual. Or there may have been a determined group of people who went up through the ranks together. Also, just because six people tested, it doesn't mean six students is all the dojo has. It's kinda hard to say without knowing all the details.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1