• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Karate, testing Info please!!!!!

poisendhearts

i start my karate classes tommorow, and i know up to 4th or 3rd kyu in techniques, 4th kyu in kumite, and 8th kyu in katas(heian shodan)

should i ask my sensei if i can test in or should i just follow the cirriculum?????? :-?

Hello, Your Sensi will let you know when you are ready for testing.

Just because you can do certain things...does'n mean you are ready. Most Sensi looks at the overall picture of your training and improvements made.

Put in a require amount of time is important too! (it could be a 5-6 months or more for each promotions) varies school to school.

Some schools you can earn a Black belt in two years, others require 5 years or more. (Ours is at least 5 years)

promotions and ranks does not make you into a martial artist. It is just an indications of the level of improvements you made so far.

This is the way many systems use to gauge your progress! (colors of belts).

When you reach and test for Black belt? .....you will realize your REAL training is just beginning. (before than you were learning the basics)

and as a Black belt....the learning will never stop....ultimate goal?

is when you can do everything without thinking! ...like if someone threw a ball at you when you are not ready...but is able to catch it! ..only in martial arts it is more intense.

A true martial artist will never get themselves in trouble situtions. Be Humble always...........Aloha

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, One more thing here. Throwing a punch? It will take a life time to be able to master this simple technique.

Using the proper mechanics, proper breathing, proper foot steps..ball of the foot, the turning of the hips, pushing up on the legs, proper fist, hitting the tarket in the right spots, the follow thru, using full power, and learning the proper techniques to when to relax and when to tighten up.

Using the right muscles and the correct muscles at each stage.

Yes anyone can throw a punch....not everyone can throw it with maximun efficiency!

Do we need too? NO ...but to perfect it.....it may take a life time. .....Aloha

Rank is unimportant. Just follow the curriculum. Also keep in mind this old addage:

"It's not the 1000 techniques you know I fear. It's the one technique you've practiced 1000 times."

To be able to perform a technique is not to know a technique.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Rank is unimportant. Just follow the curriculum. Also keep in mind this old addage:

"It's not the 1000 techniques you know I fear. It's the one technique you've practiced 1000 times."

To be able to perform a technique is not to know a technique.

NICE!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Hello, Ranks are progress reports and many of the students like to know how they are progressing.

Yes! Ranks are unimportant when fighting in the streets. In the classrooms to the students, many find it important.

Like going from the 1st grade to working your way to college, each step you earn...4th grade..10th grade..12 grade....is an important way to measure progress. Ranking works like that.

Ranks also doesn't mean you become an expert....only you have met the minumun level to past.

Most important part is....you have learn and is able to apply what you have learn. ..........Aloha

Hello, One more thing here. Throwing a punch? It will take a life time to be able to master this simple technique.

Using the proper mechanics, proper breathing, proper foot steps..ball of the foot, the turning of the hips, pushing up on the legs, proper fist, hitting the tarket in the right spots, the follow thru, using full power, and learning the proper techniques to when to relax and when to tighten up.

Using the right muscles and the correct muscles at each stage.

Yes anyone can throw a punch....not everyone can throw it with maximun efficiency!

Do we need too? NO ...but to perfect it.....it may take a life time. .....Aloha

I don't really agree with you here. Although I can see that you are making a point about continuing to learn and improve, but I don't believe that it really takes a lifetime to master a punch. I feel that way about a lot of aspects of the MAs as well. I think it has become some of the manufactured mysticism in order to make the martial arts look like more than they are.

Sure, there are several components that goes into throwing a punch. Sure, it will take some time to learn how to do it properly. Developing maximum efficiency will take time as well. A lifetime, though? I think it is much shorter than that.

I feel the same way about learning forms. Sure, you can spend a lifetime on one form, trying to perfect all of its nuances, and learning and developing the bunkai. Is one form all you need? Sure, maybe. I can say that it is, or isn't. But for some, it may be all they need. And I think that is great. However, by expanding your learning into other areas, you stimulate your brain to think of different scenarios. Variety is the spice of life.

However, when talking of the "lifetime" that it takes to master something, becomes a turn-off to those wanting to learn self-defense. I think it would be more correct to say that you can spend a lifetime attempting to master something. But to say that it really does take that long, I think tends to be misleading.

• 2 weeks later...

i start my karate classes tommorow, and i know up to 4th or 3rd kyu in techniques, 4th kyu in kumite, and 8th kyu in katas(heian shodan)

should i ask my sensei if i can test in or should i just follow the cirriculum??????

I would follow the curriculum. It's really different from dojo to dojo. If your Sensei thinks it's time for you to test, he/she will ask you to test.

At my dojo belt promotions are about two or three times a year, and the smaller promotions, ie. Green Tip, Brown Tip etc, are every couple months. It's best to really know what you are doing when you reach those levels.

Also, what style are you practicing?

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA